& Sarah Bryan
John Andrews (Anders), son of William ANDREWS, Jr., & Abi CHEEK, was born 1817 in Ashe Co., NC, and d. 1895 in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Sarah Bryan. She was born 1815 in North Carolina and died 1900 in Alleghany Co., NC. John and Sarah Andrews are buried at the John Andrews Cemetery, located on Road 1412 in the Vox community, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of John Andrews & Sarah Bryan:
- Mark Andrews, b. Oct. 1843, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1918, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Mary "Polly" REYNOLDS, daughter of George & Thursey REYNOLDS, Aug. 26, 1872, Alleghany Co., NC (b. 1840; d. 1880); m. (2) Matilda YOUNG, daughter of Thomas & Phebe YOUNG, Mar. 26, 1882, Alleghany Co., NC; bur. John Andrews Cemetery, Rd. 1412, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Casey Andrews (1875, d. young), Cory Andrews (f, c.1877).
- Mary "Polly" Andrews, b. abt. 1847, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1939 in Ohio; m. Andrew HAMPTON, son of Griggs HAMPTON & Phyllis SUTHERLAND, Aug. 8, 1877, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1815; d. Oct. 26, 1889).
- Bryan (Bryant) Andrews, b. abt. 1849, Ashe Co., NC.
- Rosamond Andrews, b. May 1856, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1920; never married.
- Susan B. Andrews, b. abt. 1858, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1920, Grayson Co., VA; m. (1) William Ephraim JENNINGS, son of Solomon JENNINGS & Susan Rachel HAMPTON, Sept. 27, 1884, Grayson Co., VA; m. (2) Wiley Preston SOUTH, son of Clark & Surphina SOUTH, May 7, 1896, Grayson Co., VA (b. abt. 1869; d. aft. 1920). No children.
ohn Andrews (Anders) (1817-1895), son of William Andrews, Jr., and Abi Cheek, lived in Glade Creek Township of Alleghany County. He owned land on Brush Creek, the Fall Branch and Moccasin Creek, and was a neighbor of Morgan Bryan and John R. Cox, among others. John Andrews (1817) should not be confused with his cousin John Andrews (1809) (son of Rev. Mark Andrews) who lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains in southern Alleghany County, around Pine Swamp Creek and the headwaters of the Little River. There was also John Andrews (1829) (son of James Carr Andrews) who lived in Grayson County, VA.
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.242 (HH#63):
JOHN ANDERS, 36, farmer, $400, NC
- -- Sarah, 36, NC
- -- Mark, 7, NC
- -- Polly, 5, NC
- -- Byram, 2, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
JOHN ANDERS, 40, farmer, $300, $200, NC
- -- Sallie, 40, NC
-- Mark, 19, NC
-- Polly, 17, NC
-- Bryant, 15, NC
-- Rosamond, 13, NC
-- Susan, 2, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: JOHN ANDERS, 30 acres improved land, 100 acres unimproved land, value of farm $300, value of farm implements $10, 0 horses, 0 asses/mules, 0 milch cows, 3 working oxen, 20 other cattle, 20 sheep, 0 swine, value of livestock $120. (Source: New River Notes)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
JOHN ANDERS, 55, farmer, NC
- -- Sally, 55, NC
-- Mark, 27, NC
-- Bryan, 21, NC
-- Polly, 24, NC
-- Rosamond, 14, NC
-- Susan, 12, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
JOHN ANDREWS, 64, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Sally, 64, wife, " " "
- -- Rosa, 24, daughter, " " "
- -- Susan B., 23, daughter, " " "
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
SARAH ANDERS, Jan. 1815, age 85, widow, 5 children born, 5 living, NC NC NC
- -- Mark, son, Oct. 1843, age 56, NC NC NC
- -- Rosa, dau, May 1856, age 44, NC NC NC
Oct. 6, 1862. John ANDERS of Alleghany Co., NC, to James THOMAS, Jr., of Pittsylvania Co., VA, 300 acres, for $450. 1st tract: on Brush Creek near the Fall Branch. 2nd tract: beg. on his corner, adj. BRYAN. Also a 3rd tract. Signed: John ANDREWS. Wits: A.M. BRYAN, N.L. WILLIAMS. (Alleghany DB 1:126.)
Note: there was more than one John Andrews (Anders) in Alleghany County; however, according to the 1860 census, John Andrews (b. 1817) was a neighbor of the Bryans.
Oct. 8, 1862. John R. COX to John ANDERS, 100 acres beg. near the wagon road on the dividing ridge between Crab Creek & Mockerson [Moccasin] Creek, adj. COX, OVERTON's old line, & the wagon road, for $550. Signed: John R. COX. Wits: T.C. DOUGLAS, Jane DOUGLAS. Proved Oct. term 1866 by T.C. DOUGLASS. (Alleghany DB 1:195.)
Sept. 28, 1876. John ANDRESS to Morgan BRYAN, 100 acres on Fall Branch adj. said ANDERS, for $100. Signed: John ANDERS. Wits: Morgan EDWARDS, Starlin EDWARDS. Proved Apr. 19, 1881, by Morgan EDWARDS. (Alleghany DB 5:82.)
Jan. 24, 1879. John ANDERS to Mark ANDERS, 30 acres on Mockasin [Moccasin] Creek of the Little River adj. G.R. COX, John ANDERS' Spring Branch, Vince EDWARDS, & John ANDERS' old line, for $200. Signed: John ANDERS. Wits: Andrew HAMPTON, Susan ANDRESS. Proved Feb. 10, 1894, by Morgan EDWARDS from handwriting of Andrew HAMPTON as John ANDERS the grantor is dead & Andrew HAMPTON the subscribing witness is dead & Susan ANDERS the other witness is a non-resident of the state. Reg. Feb. 15, 1894. (Alleghany DB 9:437, 7:232.)
Mar. 27, 1880. John R. COX to Mark ANDERS, 18 acres on Mockison [Moccasin] Creek beg. west side of the Big Road, adj. John ANDERS, for $93.75. Signed: John R. COX. Wits: Orfa ANDERS, Richard CHEEK. Proved Apr. 13, 1880, by Orfa ANDERS. Reg. Apr. 29, 1880. (Alleghany DB 4:388.)