Sandy Andrews &
Sarah "Sally" Moncus
Sandy Andrews (Anders), possibly a son of Starling ANDREWS (but sources conflict), was born abt. 1820 in Orange Co., NC, and died before March 1866, possibly of Civil War injuries. He married Sarah Moncus, abt. 1841. She was born abt. 1822 in Virginia and died between 1890-1900, probably in Grayson Co., VA.
Children of Sandy Andrews:
- Haywood Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1842, Grayson Co., VA; d. aft. 1885 in Iowa?; m. Emily RICHARDSON, daughter of Henry RICHARDSON & Mahala EDWARDS, abt. 1866 (b. abt. 1849; d. aft. 1885). Living in Alleghany Co., NC, in 1870. Living in Mills Co., IA, in 1880. Children: Sandy Andrews (c.1857), Mahala Andrews (c.1859), Robert Andrews (c.1874), Guy Andrews (c.1875), Mary Andrews (c.1877), Inez Andrews (c.1879).
- Henry Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1847, Grayson Co., VA; d. Nov. 19, 1856, Grayson Co., VA.
- Starling Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1847, Grayson Co., VA; m. Mary WILLEY, daughter of Ambrose WILLEY & Mary ANDREWS, Nov. 28, 1869, Alleghany Co., NC. They seem to have left the area.
- Phoebe Andrews (Anders), b. Aug. 31, 1850, Grayson Co., VA; d. Mar. 20, 1930, Grayson Co., VA; m. David NICHOLS, son of George W. NICHOLS, Sr., & Mary Elizabeth EDWARDS, Dec. 26, 1865, Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 2, 1844; d. Dec. 25, 1920); bur. David Nichols Memorial Cemetery on Rte. 629, south of Baywood, Grayson Co., VA. Children: Vincent Nichols (1867), Mary Jane Nichols (1869), Martha A. Nichols (1871), John A. Nichols (1873), Sarah Elizabeth Nichols (1874), Nancy Nichols (1875), Matilda Nichols (c.1878), Rosa M. Nichols (1878), Thomas J. Nichols (1880), Charles L. Nichols (1886).
- Margaret Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1853, Grayson Co., VA.
- David Reid Andrews (Anders), b. Sept. 25, 1855, Grayson Co., VA; d. Nov. 17, 1856, Grayson Co., VA.
- +Thomas Andrews (Anders), b. Sept. 15, 1857, Grayson Co., VA; d. Feb. 5, 1928, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Lucinda "Sinda" CHEEK, daughter of Chesley CHEEK & Phebe WOODRUFF, Sept. 8, 1879, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 19, 1841; d. May 1, 1921); bur. Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Mary Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1859, Grayson Co., VA; d. 1894-1899; m. Ulysses MCLAIN, May 10, 1887, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Apr. 28, 1858; d. Oct. 29, 1948). Children: Cordelia McClain (1893), Julius McClain (1894). Ulysses m. (2nd) Jane WHITAKER in 1899 and is buried at the Glade Creek Church in Alleghany Co., NC.
- Joshua Andrews (Anders), b. abt. 1863, Grayson Co., VA; d. aft. 1920 probably in Nebraska; m. Mary, last name unk., abt. 1885 (b. abt. 1864; d. aft. 1930). Living in Plattsmouth, Cass Co., NE, in 1910 and 1920. In 1930, Mary is listed with sons James and Sandy in Shenandoah Twp., Page Co., IA. Children: James Andrews (c.1890), William Andrews (c.1891), Sandy Andrews (c.1893).
andy Andrews or Anders was possibly a son of Starling Andrews. According to some sources, however, he was a son of John Andrews & Mary Cheek. I am not sure which is correct. Sandy was living in Grayson County, VA, in 1850 and 1860. He enlisted in the Grayson County Militia in 1863, at age 40, and was wounded in action at Mount Zion Church. He may have died of his war injuries. He died intestate sometime prior to March 1866 when an inventory of his estate was filed in the Grayson County Court. (Grayson Co., VA, WB 4, p.161.) His administrators were Andrew HAMPTON, John COLLINS, and Daniel MOXLEY, and his property consisted of a few farm animals, two bedsteads, two tubs and a shotgun.
Sandy's widow, Sally, is listed as a head of household in the 1870 and 1880 census of Grayson County and appears on the 1890 Grayson County land tax list. She is not listed in the 1900 census, so presumably died between 1890 and 1900.
- 1850 Census, Grayson Co., VA, 19th Dist., p.223
SANDY ANDREWS, 20, farmer, VA
- -- Sally, 28, VA
- -- Haywood, 8, VA
- -- Henry, 3, VA
- -- Starling, 3, VA
- Grayson Co., VA, Birth and Death Records (New River Notes):
- David Reid Anders born Sept. 25, 1855, son of Sandy & Sarah Anders.
- David R. Anders died Nov. 17, 1856, of flux, no age given. Son of Sandy and Sally Anders.
- Henry Anders died Nov. 19, 1856, of flux, age 6 years 7 months, son of Sandy & Sally Anders.
- 1860 Census, Grayson Co., VA, Peach Bottom P.O., p.186
SANDY ANDREWS, 40, farmer, $400, $20, NC
- -- Sarah, 41, NC
- -- Haywood, 16, VA
- -- Starlin, 12, VA
- -- Phebe, 8, VA
- -- Margaret, 7, VA
- -- Thomas, 2, VA
- -- Mary, 1 month, VA
1863 Land Tax List, Grayson Co., VA - Eastern Dist. SANDY ANDERS, 35 acres, 10 miles from CH, value per acre $3, value of buildings $50, total value $105, tax $1.05.
Civil War: Sandy Andrews served in the Grayson Militia, Co. C, 63rd VA Infantry. Enlisted Sept. 1, 1863, in Grayson County at the age of 43. Due $50 bounty. Wounded in action June 22, 1864, at Mt. Zion Church and sent to hospital. Given 60 day furlough July 15, 1864, then no further records. (Source: "Grayson Countians in the Civil War" by Jeff Weaver; "American Civil War Soldiers," Ancestry.com.)
- 1870 Census, Grayson Co., VA, Elk Creek Dist.
SALLY ANDERS, 50, keeping house, $450, $180, NC
- -- Thomas, 12, VA
- -- Mary, 11, VA
- -- Joshua, 7, VA
- 1880 Census, Grayson Co., VA, Old Town Dist.,
SALLIE ANDERS, 69, VA VA VA
- -- Mary, dau, 19, " " "
- -- Joshua, son, 16, " " "
1890 Land Tax List, Grayson Co., VA - Old Town Dist.: SALLIE ANDERS, 35 acres, Little River, 13 miles SE from CH, value per acre $1.50, value of buildings 0, total value $52.50.