William Andrews, Jr.
& Abi Cheek
William Andrews (Anders), Jr., son of William ANDREWS, Sr., & Mary LLOYD(?), was born 1792 in Orange Co., NC, and died 1870 in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Abi Cheek, daughter of James CHEEK & Martha ESTRIDGE (ESTES), Aug. 29, 1810, in Orange Co., NC. She was born 1793 in Orange Co., NC, and died abt. 1870 in Alleghany Co., NC. William and Abi are buried at the William Andrews Cemetery located on Road 1428, 1 mile south of Zion Church in Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of William Andrews, Jr., & Abi Cheek:
- Maybe Melinda Andrews, b. June 15, 1811, Orange Co., NC; d. aft. 1870, Johnson Co., TN; James Robert SIMCOX (SIMCOCK), son of Aaron SIMCOCK & Beulah BRYANT of Grayson Co., VA, abt. 1844 (b. May 26, 1821; d. July 15, 1886, Johnson Co., TN). Children: William Martin Simcox (1845), Aaron Harrison Simcox (1847), Joel Thomas Simcox (1849), Offa Anders Simcox (1852).
- +Lorenzo D. Andrews, b. 1813, Orange Co., NC; d. 1890, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Margaret CROUSE, daughter of Jacob CROUSE & Sarah EDWARDS, abt. 1833 (b. Nov. 26, 1813; d. May 3, 1907; bur. Mountain View Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC).
- +John Andrews, b. 1817, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1895, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Sarah BRYAN, abt. 1842 (b. 1815; d. 1900); bur. John Andrews Cemetery, Rd 1412, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Martha Andrews, b. abt. 1825, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1879, Alleghany Co., NC; never married; bur. William Andrews Cemetery, Rd. 1428, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Orpha "Offie" Andrews, b. 1826, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1896, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Elizabeth, abt. 1846 (b. abt. 1826; d. 1880-1893); m. (2) Nancy HICKS, Sept. 9, 1893, Alleghany Co., NC (b. 1838; d. 1906); bur. William Andrews Cemetery, Rd. 1428, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Archibald Andrews (c.1847), Juliann Andrews (c.1849), Willis Andrews (c.1851), Ellen Andrews (c.1854), Nathaniel Andrews (c.1855), Jesse Andrews (c.1857), Harrison Andrews (c.1863). Children by Nancy Hicks: Garfield Wesley Hicks Andrews (c.1859), Laura Hicks (1863), Susan Hicks (c.1864), Orpha Hicks (c.1866), Catherine Hicks (c.1868), Sarah E. Hicks (1870), Fannie A. Hicks (1878), Ralph Thomas Hicks Andrews (1883).
- Willis C. Andrews, b. abt. 1830, Ashe Co., NC. Sold property to his brother Orpha in 1861, then may have left the area.
- Mary Ellen Andrews, b. Apr. 30, 1835, Ashe Co., NC; d. July 10, 1908, Dade Co., MO; m. William HIGGINS, son of Linville HIGGINS & Judea KIRBY, Feb. 24, 1851, Ashe Co., NC (b. Apr. 30, 1835; d. July 10, 1908; bur. Greenfield Cemetery, Cedar Co., MO). Children: Aby Ellen Higgins (1853), Calvin J. Higgins (c.1856), Lafayette B. Higgins (1858), Phebe Higgins (c.1861), David Higgins (1865), Joseph Hooker Higgins (1868), Mary "Molly" Higgins (1870), Martha Velege Higgins (1876).
illiam Andrews, Jr., and his wife Abi Cheek moved from Orange County, NC, to Ashe County prior to 1820. They settled on the Little River, where they were later joined by William's brother John & Mary (Cheek) Andrews. This area became part of Alleghany County in 1859. William and Aby Andrews both died around 1870 and are buried in a family cemetery on Road 1428 in Alleghany Co., NC, about 5 miles east of Sparta, and 1 mile south of Zion Church. This property is known as the old Friel Rector farm. (Alleghany Cemeteries Through 1986 pub. by the Alleghany Co. Hist.-Gen. Society.) See also The Anders and Andrews Families of Orange, Ashe, and Alleghany Counties in NC and Grayson County, VA, by Clifford Rector (self-published; LDS Call No. 929.273 An22r.)
Aug. 29, 1810. Orange Co., NC. William ANDRES and Abi CHEEK posted a marriage bond with bondsman Jas. CATE.
Feb. 15, 1820. Orange Co., NC. William Jr. is named in the will of his father William ANDREWS, Sr. (Orange Co., NC, Will Book E, p.47).
1820 Census, Ashe Co., NC: WILLIAM ANDREWS
|3 w/m under 10||1 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 16-25||1 w/f 16-25|
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.37: WILLIAM ANDREWS
|2 w/m under 5||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 10-14||1 w/f 15-19|
|2 w/m 15-19||1 w/f 40-49|
|1 w/m 40-49|
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.29: WM ANDERS, SR.
|2 w/m 10-14||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 15-19|
|1 w/m 40-49||1 w/f 20-29|
|1 w/f 40-49|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.250 (HH#186):
WM ANDERS, 67, farmer, $300, b. in NC
- -- Aby, 61, NC
-- Martha, 25, NC
-- Willis, 20, NC
-- Polly, 15, NC
Nov. 25, 1850. Willian ANDERS' corner is mentioned in a land grant from the State of NC to Orpha ANDERS for a tract of land crossing the Little River. (Ashe Co., NC, Land Grant No. 4739; Alleghany DB 9:342.)
Jan. 1, 1852. William ANDERS' land mentioned in a deed from Richard CHOAT to Orfa ANDERS for 6 acres on the east side of the Little River. (Alleghany DB 9:343.)
Feb. 9, 1859. William ANDERS' "old line" mentioned in a deed from James ANDERS to Wm. H. JOINES. The deed describes a 100-acre tract beginining on the east side of the Little River above a millsite close to the narrows, running west across the river, adj. Wm. ANDERS, the old line, the MOXLEY place, the ally lot, the Store House lot, T.C. DOUGLAS, a branch, the mill tract, & the mill road below the spring. (Alleghany DB 1:144.)
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
WM ANDERS, 75, farmer, $400, $550, NC
- -- Aby, 68, NC
-- Willes, 28, NC
-- Martha, 49, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: WM. ANDERS, 50 acres improved land, $150 acres unimproved land, value of farm $600, value of farm implements $25, 2 horses, no asses or mules, 2 milch cows, no working oxen, 1 other cattle, 6 sheep, 40 swine, value of livestock $330. (Source: New River Notes)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp
OFFIE ANDERS, age 44, farmer, NC
- -- William, 82, NC
-- Abi, 79, NC
-- Ellen, 16, NC
-- Harrison, 7, NC