Cheeks and Chicks in
the Revolutionary War
This list compiles information on Revolutionary War veterans with the Cheek and Chick surnames who served in Southern states.
|CHEEK/CHICK, Frederick||GA||Lt.||Lieutenant in the 2nd Georgia, 1779||Heitman, Hist. Reg. of Officers|
|CHEEK, James||NC||Sgt||1000 acres, Dec. 9, 1797||Bockstruck, Bounty Land Grants|
|CHEEK, James||NC||Pvt||Received pension in Orange Co., NC||1835 Pension Roll; NARA File No. S8190|
|CHEEK, John||NC||Pvt||640 acres to heirs, Dec. 9, 1797||Bockstruck, Bounty Land Grants|
|CHEEK, John||NC||-||NC Grant No. 3368 to John Cheek dated Dec. 16, 1800, for 640 acres, recorded Robertson Co., TN, Book D:288.||Whitley, Red River Settlers|
|CHICK, John||NC||Capt.||Affidavit of Jonathan THOMAS of Grayson Co., VA, dated Sept. 12, 1836, in support of a pension app. by James COX, states, "I was a solger under Capt. John CHICK in the revolution war in the light horse company of the North Carolina troops commanded by Col. Hugh TINNEN and Col. John TAYLOR of orrange county of North Carolina"||NARA Pension File No. R2412|
|CHEEK, Richard||NC||-||Gave a statement in Moore Co., NC, supporting a pension app. filed by James HARDIN; states they served together under Capt. William GOLDSTON for 5 months.||NARA File No. R4592|
|CHEEK, William||NC||Pvt||640 acres to heirs, Dec. 10, 1788||Bockstruck, Bounty Land Grants|
|CHEEK, William||NC||-||In 1800, John CHEEK files a petition requesting that an order be issued granting him, as heir-at-law, land due his brother William for Rev. War service. William CHEEK died as a solider in Capt. Jacob TURNER's Company. Petitioner states that a land grant cannot be issued for his brother's service because of his name not being on a muster roll, even though satisfactory proof of his service and death can be made.||NCGSJ Vol. 1, No. 3, p.150.|
|CHEEK, William||NC||-||Warrant issued by state of NC to heirs in 1800; filed TN Land Office.||Whitley, Tenn. Gen. Records|
|CHEEK, Ellis||SC||Pvt.||Received pension in Laurens Dist., SC||1835 Pension Roll; NARA File No. S8204|
|CHEEK, William||SC||Pvt||Received pension in Franklin Co., GA, for service in SC||1835 Pension Roll; NARA File No. W1141|
|CHEEK, James||VA||Pvt||Received pension in Frederick Co., VA||NARA File No. S16708|
|CHEEK, Thomas||VA||Sgt.||1st VA Regt. Cont. Line, 10th VA Regt. Cont. Line||Gwathmey, Historical Register|
|CHEEKE, Thomas L.||VA||Sgt.||14th VA Regt., Cont. Line; rec'd pension in 1793.||Gwathmey, Historical Register; Clark, Pension Lists 1782-1795|
|CHEEK, William||VA||-||On a list of men from Henry Co., VA, ordered to go to Hillsborough, NC, to assist Gen. Greene in 1781.||Virginia Military Records|
|CHEEK, William||VA||-||On a militia list in Dummore Co., VA, 1775||Brumbaugh, Rev. War Records|
|CHICK, James||VA||-||Received pension in Knox Co., KY, for service in VA||1835 Pension Roll; NARA File No. S10440|
|CHICK, John||VA||-||Gunner on the Brig Liberty in 1776.||Stewart, History of VA's Navy; Brumbaugh, Rev. War Records|
|CHICK, John||VA||Sgt.||On roll of Co. 8, 1st Artillery Reg't at Valley Forge, June 8, 1778, "Sick in Virginia". Roll of Mar.-Apr. 1779 states "Died in Virginia last winter."||Gwathmey, Historical Register; Saffell, Records of the Rev. War; NARA Compiled Svc Records|
|CHICK, William||VA||Pvt||Killed; entitled to land for 3 years||Brumbaugh, Rev. War Records|
|CHICK/CHECK, William||VA||-||Clark's Ill. Regt.; killed.||Gwathmey, Historical Register|
- Bockstruck, Lloyd Dewitt, Revolutionary War Bounty Land Grants (Gen. Pub. Co., 1996)
- Brumbaugh, Gaius Marcus, Revolutionary War Records, Vol. 1 - Virginia (1936) (reprinted by Gen. Pub. Co., 1995).
- Clark, Murtie June, The Pension Lists of 1792-1795 (Gen. Pub. Co. 1991)
- Gwathmey, John H., Historical Register of Virginians in the Revolution (Gen. Pub. Co., 1979) (orig. pub. Richmond, VA, 1938)
- Heitman, Frances B., Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution (1914).
- Linn, Jo White, & McBride, B.R. "Private Petitions in the North Carolina Legislative Papers: Revolutionary War Service-Related Benefits," North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. 1, No. 3 (July 1975).
- National Archives & Records Administration (NARA), Compiled service records of soldiers who served in the American Army during the Revolutionary War (original documents on microfilm).
- National Archives & Records Administration (NARA), Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files (original documents on microfilm).
- Saffell, W.T.R., Records of the Revolutionary War (1894) (reprinted by Clearfield Co., 1996).
- Stewart, Robert Armistead, History of Virginia's Navy in the Revolution (1934).
- The Pension Roll of 1835, Vols. 1-4, (Gen. Pub. Co., 1968)
- Virginia Military Records from the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, the William and Mary College Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly (Gen. Pub. Co., 1983)
- Whitley, Edythe Rucker, Red River Settlers (Gen. Pub. Co. 1980).
- Whitley, Edythe Rucker, Tennessee Genealogical Records: Records of Early Settlers from State and County Archives (Gen. Pub. Co. 1980).
James Cheek, North Carolina (NARA Pension File No. S8190). Applied for pension Aug. 31, 1832, in Orange Co., NC. He enlisted 1781 and served 2 tours of duty. Fought at Battle of Kirk's Plantation.
William Cheek, South Carolina (NARA Pension File No. W1141). Applied for pension Sept. 10, 1832, in Franklin Co., GA. He enlisted 1777 while residing in Laurens Dist., SC, and served alterate 3 month tours of duty on Indian border for 4 years.
Ellis Cheek, South Carolina (NARA Pension File No. S8204). Applied for pension in Laurens Dist., SC. He enlisted in 1781 while residing in Fair Forest River, SC. Was in the engagement at Thompson's Fort and the battle at Cowpens.
James Cheek, Virginia (NARA Pension File No. S16708). Applied for pension Sept. 20, 1834, in Frederick Co., VA. He was drafted in 1781 in Frederick Co. and served tours of duty in 1781 and 1782 in Williamsburg and the Potomac. Listed on the 1841 pension roll in Warren Co., VA.
James Chick, Virginia (NARA Pension File No. S10440). Applied for pension Aug. 27, 1832, in Knox Co., KY. He enlisted 1776 in King & Queen Co., VA, and served several tours of duty between 1776-1781.
NC Archives Index to Rev. War Army Accounts: James Cheek, John Cheek, Philip Cheek, R. Cheek, Randal Cheek, Randolph Cheek, Reuben Cheek, Robert Cheek, S. Cheek, W. Cheek, William Cheek, Wm. Cheek