Alexander "Sandy" Cheek of
Orange Co., NC, & Texas
Alexander "Sandy" Cheek, son of Robert "Robin" CHEEK, Jr., & Martha "Patsy" Andrews, was born Oct. 9, 1799, in Orange Co., NC; and died May 27, 1855, in Freestone Co., TX. He married Nancy Stroud, daughter of John STROUD & Delilah BRYANT, Jan. 22, 1820, in Orange Co., NC. She was born Jan. 13, 1801, in Orange Co., NC, and died Feb. 15, 1884, Pleasant Plains, White Co., AR.
Children of Alexander Cheek & Nancy Stroud:
- Saurin W. Cheek, b. abt. 1817; d. ?; m. Margaret Jane BLACKWOOD, Nov. 3, 1842, Orange Co., NC (b. abt. 1822; d. ?). They were in Orange Co., NC, in 1850, then no further records. Children: (from 1850 census): Arilla "Rilla" Cheek (c.1835), Luticia Cheek (c.1838). Note the marriage index for Orange Co., NC, gives Saurin's name as "Laurin" but this is probaby a transcription error. In 1860, Arilla CHEEK (age 13) is listed with J.M. & Delila BEAVER in Round Pond Twp., Independence Co., AR (probably Delilah Cheek who m. Jehue M. BEAVER, M.D., on Mar. 13, 1850, in Orange Co., NC). Aurilla Emma CHEEK m. Dr. Thomas Duty NICHOLS, M.D., May 30, 1866, White Co., AR; she is buried in Clarksville, AR.
- Rosanna Cheek, b. Mar. 23, 1821, Orange Co., NC; d. Mar. 21, 1878, White Co., AR; m. Augustus Lafayette CHEEK, son of Burroughs CHEEK & Sarah BENTON, Aug. 21, 1850, Orange Co., NC (b. Nov. 28, 1826; d. Oct. 19, 1865); bur. Roosevelt Cemetery, Pleasant Plains, White Co., AR. Child: Fredonia Cheek (1853) died young.
- Andrew J. Cheek, b. June 5, 1823, Orange Co., NC; d. Oct. 18, 1877, Covington, Tipton Co., TN; m. Ellen Jane MCCAULEY, daughter of John MCCAULEY & Nancy O'KELLY, Feb. 29, 1844 (b. June 5, 1821; d. Oct. 18, 1872). They moved to Tipton Co., TN, soon after their marriage, where they appear in the 1850, 1860, & 1870 census. Children: Nancy C.J. Cheek (c.1848), Mary A. Cheek (c.1850), George L. Cheek (c.1855).
- Emeline Cheek, b. Mar. 19, 1827, Orange Co., NC; d. Mar. 23, 1907, Hugo, Choctaw Co., OK; m. Dr. John MCCAULEY, M.D., Jan. 12, 1846, Orange Co., NC (b. Jan. 25, 1825; d. Sept. 20, 1857; bur. Roosevelt Cemetery, White Co., AR). They were living in Alamance Co., NC, in 1850; moved to Texas in the early 1850's and then Independence Co., AR, where Emeline is listed as a head of household in the 1860-1870 census. Children: John Alexander McCauley (1846), Martha McCauley (c.1849), Charles Leslie McCauley (1848), Delia Ann McCauley (1850), Andrew Graham McCauley (1852), Lemuel Dudley McCauley (1854), Eudora McCauley (1857).
- Lemuel Morgan Cheek, b. 1825-1830; m. Belle JORDAN.
- Alexander Cheek, Jr., b. abt. 1832, Orange Co., NC; d. 1852 in Texas.
- Delilah Cheek, b. abt. 1833, Orange Co., NC; listed with Alexander CHEEK's household in 1850, then no further records, unless she is the Delilah CHEEK who m. Dr. Jehue M. BEAVER, M.D., on Mar. 13, 1850, in Orange Co., NC. However, Alexander's daughter Delilah (age 17) is listed in Alexander's household in the 1850 census while Jehue M. BEAVER (age 33) & his wife Delilah (age 21) are listed in a separate household. Jehue & Delilah (Cheek) BEAVER moved to Tennessee in the early 1850's and then to Arkansas where they are listed in Independence Co., AR, in 1860, & White Co., AR, in 1870.
- Frank Cheek, b. abt. 1835, Orange Co., NC; d. 1851 in Texas.
- Julia Byron Cheek, b. Sept. 13, 1836, Orange Co., NC; d. Jan. 9, 1879, Pleasant Plains, White Co., AR; m. George W. MCCAULEY, son of John MCCAULEY & Nancy O'KELLY, Sept. 7, 1856, Independence Co., AR (b. abt. 1833; d. aft. 1870.) Living in White Co., AR, in 1860, & Independence Co., AR, in 1870. Children: Elizabeth Nancy McCauley (1860), Robert McCauley (c.1863), George McCauley (c.1866), Susan McCauley (c.1868), Ennice McCauley (c.1869).
lexander Cheek's relationship to his father Robert "Robin" CHEEK is proven by documents concerning Robert's estate which were filed in 1866 in Orange County, NC. The documents contain a list of Robert's heirs including "the heirs of Alex. Cheek" (Alexander died in 1855). Information on Alexander Cheek's family was kindly provided by descendant Ed Murphy from research and notes made by his great-grandmother Frances B. McCauley who was the granddaughter of Emeline Cheek & Dr. John McCauley. Additional information on Saurin Cheek was kindly provided by April Bass.
Alexander Cheek and his family moved to Texas in the early 1850's. Alexander Cheek died in Freestone Co., TX, on May 17, 1855. (Source: Carrie L. Broughton, Marriage and Death Notices in the Raleigh Register & North Carolina State Gazette (Gen. Pub. Co., 1992), p.529.)
Jan. 22, 1820. Alexander CHEEK & Nancy STROUD posted a marriage bond in Orange Co., NC, with bondsmen Frederick LLOYD & William ANDREWS. According to The Herndon-Hunt and Allied Families by Edna Hilliard White Wood (1931), p.33, Nancy STROUD was the daughter of John STROUD & Delilah BRYANT.
Jan. 22, 1820. Alexander CHEEK & William ANDRUS (ANDREWS) were bondsmen for the marriage of Cannon BOWERS & Patsey LOYD in Orange Co., NC.
June 15, 1827. Orange Co., NC. Alexander CHEEK purhcased 125 acres from Dennison D. OLMSTEAD, waters of Presswood Creek adjoining Elisha BEVILL, Benjamin A. YEARGAN, Mann PATTERSON, Lemuel MORGAN and William BARBEE. (Orange DB 25, p.418).
1830 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.283: ALEXR CHEEK
|1 w/m under 5||2 w/f under 5|
|2 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 15-19|
Dec. 20, 1832. Orange Co., NC. Alexander CHEEK purchased 303 acres from Daniel BOOKER & David BOOKER, on Presswood Creek and waters of New Hope Creek adj. Reuben BATCHELOR, James DAVIS, & others. (Orange DB 25, p.428).
Nov. 3, 1835. Orange Co., NC. Alexander CHEEK purchased 214 acres from Edward COLLIER, known as the Craig Mill Place, 1 mile northeast of the village of Chapel Hill on the Oxford Road and waters of Boling Creek, adj. Lemuel MORGAN, John HENDERSON, Thomas H. TAYLOR, & himself. (Orange DB 26, p.420).
March 2, 1838. Orange Co., NC. Alexander CHEEK was security for John C. CHEEK who pledged land on Ellerbee Creek for debts. (Orange DB 27, p.589).
Sept. 1839. Orange Co., NC. Alexander CHEEK purchased 78 acres from the estate of John STRAIN, waters of Boling Creek adjoining John HENDERSON, Jacob POTTS & himself. (Orange DB 29, p.419).
1840 Census: not listed.
Dec. 3, 1845. Orange Co., NC. Alexander CHEEK sold a lot in Chapel Hill Village to Mary R. WHEATON. (Orange DB 32, p.176).
- 1850 Census, Orange Co., NC, 1st Dist., p.200
ALEXANDER CHEEK, age 50, farmer, $3000, NC
- -- Nancy, 48, NC
-- Rosanna, 27, NC
-- Alexander, 18, NC
-- Delilah, 17, NC
-- Frank, 15, NC
-- Julia, 14, NC
1850 Slave Schedule, Orange Co., NC, 1st Dist., p.17: ALEXANDER CHEEK, 12 slaves
1850 Agricultural Census, Orange Co., NC: ALEXANDER CHEEK, 150 acres improved land, 250 acres unimproved land, cash value of farm $3,000, value of farm implements $100, value of livestock $550
Sept. 1850. Orange Co., NC. Alexander CHEEK sold 392 acres to Morgan CLOSS, $1,550.00, located on Presswood and Boling Creeks. (Orange DB 34, p.53).
May 17, 1855. Alexander Cheek died in Freestone Co., TX. (Carrie L. Broughton, Marriage and Death Notices in the Raleigh Register & North Carolina State Gazette (Gen. Pub. Co., 1992), p.529.)
- 1860 Census, Independence Co., AR, Round Pond Twp.,
EMELINE MCCAULEY, 33, $2000, $800, NC
- -- John A., 13, NC
-- Charles S., 11, NC
-- Garland[?] M., 8, TX
-- Lonnie [Lemuel?], 5, AR
-- Eudora, 3, AR
NANCY CHEEKS, 56, $--, $1300, NC
1860 Slave Schedule, Independence Co., AR, Round Pond Twp., p.319: NANCY CHEEK: 3 slaves
1870 Census: not listed.
- 1880 Census, Independence Co., AR, Fairview Twp.,
A.G. MCCAULEY, 29, TN TN NC, dry goods merchant
- -- G.V., wife, 34, IL TN SC
-- B., dau, 2 mos., AR TN IL
-- E., mother, 52, NC NC NC
CHEEK, N., grandmother, 74, NC NC NC
BROWNING, __, other, 25, IN NC NC, doctor