of Orange County, NC
Children of Hartwell Cheek:
- Hartwell Cheek, Jr., b. 1790-1800, Orange Co., NC; d. unk.; m. Elizabeth MOULTON, Oct. 19, 1816, Orange Co., NC; bondsman William MCCLUSKY. Children: Morton Cheek (1818) m. Demaris SMITH; William Ruffin Cheek (1819) m. Anne M. ALLRED.
- +James B. Cheek, b. Feb. 4, 1801; d. June 30, 1842, Orange Co., NC; m. Parthenia SMITH, Sept. 24, 1828, Orange Co., NC (b. June 1, 1805; d. Apr. 25, 1881); bur. Chestnut Ridge United Methodist Church, Orange Co., NC. A letter written by Mary Bell Cheek Pettigrew in 1927 identifies Hartwell Cheek as the father of James B. Cheek.
Other possible children:
Based on the census records, Hartwell Cheek had five or six sons and perhaps as many as eight daughters born between 1790 and 1820. Except for James B. Cheek, however, none of the children have been positively identified. The following are some of the "stray" Cheeks found in Orange Co., NC. Some of them could be children of Hartwell Cheek, but verification is needed.
- Elizabeth Cheek, b. around 1795? m. William BISHOP, Dec. 28, 1814, in Orange Co., NC.
- Mary "Polly" Cheek, b. abt. 1800; m. Willie MORTON, Apr. 1, 1822, Orange Co., NC; bondsman: John CHEEK. Children: Louisa Morton (c.1832), William Morton (c.1834), John Morton (c.1837), Lencia Morton (c.1838).
- John Cheek, b. 1800-1810. Listed in the 1840 Census of Orange Co., NC, So. Div., p.249, then no further records. He may be the John CHEEK who m. Eliza WYNN, May 8, 1830, Orange Co., NC.
- Catherine Cheek, b. around 1800? m. James JONES, July 5, 1822, Orange Co., NC; bondsman: John CHEEK.
- Polly Cheek, b. around 1800? m. Johnston WEBB, Jan. 15, 1822, Orange Co., NC; bondsman David FRESHWATER.
- Reuben Cheek, b. 1800-1810. Listed in the 1840 Census of Orange Co., NC, So. Div., p.221 (age 20-29), then no further records
- Mary E. Cheek, b. abt. 1805, m. William S. DOLLAR, Nov. 23, 1847, Orange Co., NC.
artwell Cheek appears on a tax list in Orange County, NC, in 1792, and the census from 1800 through 1820. Otherwise, there is very little information about him. He seems to have had a large number of children based on the data in the census records. However, James B. Cheek is the only documented child. Hartwell did not leave a will that I know of.
James B. Cheek's relationship to Hartwell is proven by a letter written by Mary Bell Cheek Pettigrew in 1927. This letter states that Hartwell Cheek was the father of James Cheek who was the father of Thomas M. Cheek and James S. Cheek. (Information kindly shared by Jeffrey Williams.) Hartwell could also be the father of various "stray" Cheeks found in Orange County during the first half of the 19th century. Some of these Cheeks are listed above. Further research into the Orange County records might uncover additional evidence.
1792 Tax List, Orange Co., NC: HARTWELL CHEEK, 1 poll.
May 13, 1799. Chatham Co., NC. Masting CHEEK executed a deed to Thomas SNIPES, 37 acres on Tyrels Creek of Haw River, a tract of land purchased of Hartwell CHEEK adj. Anthony PILKINGTON, Thomas BROWN, FEARINGTON's lnie. Proved by Francis WILLIS.(Chatham DB K, p.229.)
1800 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.555: HARTWELL CHEEK
|3 w/m under 10||b.1790-1800 = Hartwell Jr. + 2 unk. sons|
|1 w/m 26-45||b.1755-1774 = Hartwell|
|2 w/f under 10||b.1790-1800 = 2 unk. daughters|
|1 w/f 26-45||b.1755-1774 = unknown wife|
1810 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.123: HARTWELL CHEEK
|2 w/m under 10||b.1800-1810 = 1 unk. son + James B. (1801)|
|1 w/m 10-15||b.1795-1800 = 1 unk. son|
|1 w/m 16-25||b.1785-1794 = Hartwell Jr.|
|1 w/m 26-45||b.1765-1784 = Hartwell|
|4 w/f under 10||b.1800-1810 = 4 unk. daughters|
|3 w/f 10-15||b.1795-1800 = 3 unk. daughters|
|1 w/f 16-25||b.1785-1794 = 1 unk. daughter|
|1 w/f 26-45||b.1765-1784 = unknown wife|
1820 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.386: HARTWELL CHEEK
|2 w/m under 10||b.1810-1820 = 2 unk. sons|
|1 w/m over 45||b. bef. 1775 = Hartwell|
|1 w/f under 10||b.1810-1820 = 1 unk. daughter|
|2 w/f 10-15||b.1805-1810 = 2 unk. daughters|
|1 w/f 16-25||b.1795-1804 = 2 unk. daughters|
|1 w/f 26-45||b.1775-1794 = unknown wife|
1830 Census, not listed.
1840 Census, Orange Co., NC, So. Div., p.221: RUBEN
Maybe this is Hartwell, living with one of his sons?? (Very speculative!)
|1 w/m 15-19||b.1820-1825 = unk.|
|1 w/m 20-29||b.1800-1810 = Reuben?|
|1 w/m 60-69||b.1770-1780 = Hartwell?|
|1 w/f 60-69||b.1770-1780 = Hartwell's wife?|