James B. Cheek
of Orange County, NC
James B. Cheek, son of Hartwell CHEEK, was born Feb. 4, 1801, in Orange Co., NC, and died June 30, 1842, in Orange Co., NC. He married Parthenia Smith, Sept. 24, 1828, Orange Co., NC. She was born June 1, 1805, and died Apr. 25, 1881, in Orange Co., NC. James and Parthenia Cheek are buried at the Chestnut Ridge United Methodist Church in Orange Co., NC.
Children of James B. Cheek & Parthenia Smith:
- Sarah Ann Cheek, b. Aug. 7, 1829, Orange Co., NC; d. Feb. 3, 1884, Orange Co., NC; m. Abner PETTIGREW, Apr. 10, 1850, Orange Co., NC (b. Apr. 3, 1829; d. Jan. 12, 1891); bur. Mebane City Cemetery, Orange Co., NC. Children: Susan Pettigrew (c.1851), Margaret Pettigrew (c.1853), Nancy Pettigrew (c.1855), Parthenia Pettigrew (c.1856), William Pettigrew (c.1860), Emma Pettigrew (c.1863), Thomas B. Pettigrew (c.1866), Joseph Pettigrew (c.1868), John R. Pettigrew (1870), Charles S. Pettigrew (1873).
- William C. Cheek, b. Feb. 2, 1831, Orange Co., NC; d. Jan. 4, 1893, Orange Co., NC; bur. Mebane City Cemetery, Orange Co., NC.
- Nancy Cheek, b. abt. 1835, Orange Co., NC; d. bef. 1867; m. Wiley BURTON, June 24, 1857, Orange Co., NC (b. Nov. 20, 1831; d. Apr. 12, 1897). Children: Elizabeth "Bettie" Burton (c.1858), Chelly Burton (c.1860). Nancy presumably died before Jan. 1, 1867, when Wiley BURTON m. Mahala E. MILLER in Orange Co., NC. Nancy's burial place is unknown. Willey & Mahala BURTON are buried at the Little River Presbyterian Church in Orange Co., NC.
- Susan M. Cheek, b. Mar. 13, 1837, Orange Co., NC; d. Aug. 27, 1856, Orange Co., NC; bur. Chestnut Ridge United Methodist Church, Orange Co., NC.
- Thomas Mumford Cheek, b. July 16, 1839, Orange Co., NC; d. June 6, 1915, Orange Co., NC; m. Elizabeth PHILLIPS, Aug. 11, 1863, Mecklenburg Co., NC (b. Dec. 12, 1839; d. Dec. 26, 1918); bur. Mebane City Cemetery, Orange Co., NC. Children: Lula Cheek (1868), James S. Cheek (1870), Thomas P. Cheek (1871), Edward Plummer Cheek (1873), Bessie Cheek (c.1876), Harry Alexander Cheek (c.1878), Ella M. Cheek (c.1879).
- James Alvis Cheek, b. July 20, 1842, Orange Co., NC; d. May 2, 1911, Orange Co., NC; m. Rosa CHEEK, daughter of John CHEEK & Mary Jane FAUCETT, abt. 1875 (b. Apr. 1854; d. aft. 1900); bur. Hillsborough Memorial Cemetery, Orange Co., NC. Children: James Clyde Cheek (1876), Arthur S. Cheek (1878), Maude C. Cheek (1880).
ames B. Cheek's relationship to his father, Hartwell Cheek, is proven by a letter written by Mary Bell Cheek Pettigrew in 1927. This letter states that Hartwell Cheek was the father of James Cheek who was the father of Thomas M. Cheek and James S. Cheek (information kindly shared by Jeffrey Williams). Hartwell Cheek had a large family, based on census records, but James B. Cheek is his only documented son.
Sept. 24, 1823. James CHEEK & Pathena SMITH posted a marriage bond in Orange Co., NC, with John CHEEK as bondsman.
1840 Census, Orange Co., NC, No. Div., p.172: JAMES
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/f 20-29|
Aug. term, 1842. Orange Co., NC. Parthena CHEEK widow of James CHEEK who "departed this life intestate in the month of July last" petitioned for allotment of year's provisions. John CHEEK qualified as administrator of the estate with bondsmen Samuel N. TATE & Charles C. SMITH. Report of sale of personal property of James CHEEK, dec'd, by John CHEEK, Adm'r: purchasers included Parthena CHEEK, Robert CHEEK, John CHEEK, Burres CHEEK, Mebane CHEEK, C.C. SMITH & others. (Orange Co., NC, Estate Papers.)
- 1850 Census, Orange Co., NC, 1st Dist., p.197
THENEY CHEEK, 45, $450, NC
- -- Sarah, 20, NC
-- William, 19, NC
-- Susan, 15, NC
-- Thomas, 12, NC
-- James, 10, NC
PETTIGREW, Abner, 22, blacksmith, NC
1850 Agricultural Census, Orange Co., NC: THENY CHEEK, 100 acres improved land, 98 acres unimproved land, cash value of farm $500, value of farm implements $100, value of livestock $175
- 1860 Census, Orange Co., NC, Hillsboro P.O., p.315
PARTHENIA CHEEK, 55, farmer, $400, $225, NC
- -- Thomas, 20, tailor, NC
- -- Catherine, 24, domestic, NC
- 1870 Census, Orange Co., NC, Hillsboro Twp., p.230
PARTHENIA CHEEK, 63, farmer, $300, $200, NC
- -- James, 26, laborer, NC
- MILLER, Ellin, 53, NC
- 1880 Census, Orange Co., NC, Hillsboro Twp., p.16:
JAMES A. CHEEK, age 37, occ: retail liquor dealer, b. NC, father b. NC, mother b. NC
- -- Rosa F., wife, 27, NC NC NC
-- James C., son, 4, " " "
-- Author S., son, 2, " " "
-- Parthena, mother, 75, " " "
-- William E., brother-in-law, 21, clerk in bar room, NC NC NC
BURTON, Bettie, niece, 21, NC NC NC