John Cheek (c.1800)
of Orange County, NC
John Cheek, son of James CHEEK & Martha "Patty" ESTRIDGE (ESTES), was born abt. 1800 in Orange Co., NC, and died Feb. 24, 1848, in Orange Co., NC. He married Jane Williams (a.k.a Jinney, Jinsey, Jency), Oct. 31, 1818, in Orange Co., NC. She was born abt. 1800 in North Carolina, and died 1861 in Orange Co., NC. John and Jency Cheek are buried at the Glenn-Cheek Cemetery in Durham, NC.
Children of John Cheek & Jane Williams:
- James Marion Cheek, b. 1818, Orange Co., NC; d. 1884, Orange Co., NC; m. Nancy M. BOOTH, Nov. 25, 1839, Orange Co., NC (b. 1826; d. 1901); bur. Old Chapel Hill Cemetery, UNC Campus, Orange Co., NC. Children: Cornelia Cheek (c.1841), William John Alford Cheek (1843), Jesse Cheek (c.1844), James Marion Cheek Jr. (1846), Joseph Addison Cheek (1848), Permelia Etta or Mary Cheek (1850), Caroline Cheek (c.1853), Pernicia Cheek (c.1855), Thomas Cheek (c.1857), John Cheek (c.1859), Robert Cheek (c.1858), Buck Cheek (c.1861), Luna Elizabeth Cheek (1872).
- Malinda Cheek, b. abt. 1821, m. Duncan WILKINS, Oct. 29, 1841, Orange Co., NC.
- George W. Cheek, b. abt. 1823, Orange Co., NC; d. 1869, Newton Co., MS; m. (1) Elizabeth WILKINS, daughter of John WILKINS (b. abt. 1829; d. 1860); m. (2) Elizabeth BUNCH, Sept. 4, 1860, Greene Co., AL (b. abt. 1838). In 1850 he is listed next door to James Marion Cheek in Orange Co., NC. Moved to Alabama where he appears in the 1860 census of Greene Co., AL, then 1870 census of Newton Co., MS. In Memoirs of Western Arkansas (Goodspeed, 1891), entry for John B. CHEEK states, "Mr. Cheek was born in Orange County, N. C. July 2, 1846. His parents, George W. and Elizabeth Cheek, were also natives of the same State and county. They were the parents of eight children, and our subject was the oldestfour are still living. Mr. [George] Cheek and family moved to Alabama, and in 1863 emigrated to Newton County, Mississippi, where he died in 1869; mother had died in 1860." Update: According to info kindly shared by descendant Walter Meyers, John WILKINS of Orange Co., NC, died intestate in 1846 and the estate file mentions a daughter Elizabeth, wife of George CHEEK. The Wilkins lived in the same area as George Cheek's father John Cheek. Children: John Burris Cheek (1846), Sarah Cheek (c.1848); Margaret Cheek (c.1849), James Cheek (c.1853), Thomas J. Cheek (c.1855), William Cheek (c.1856), Jasper Cheek (c.1857), Jefferson D. Cheek (c.1860), Joseph J. Cheek (c.1866), Mary Cheek (c. 1868).
- David M. Cheek, b. Aug. 17, 1824, Orange Co., NC; d. Feb. 12, 1863, Orange Co., NC; m. Lucy Jane FERRELL, abt. 1854 (b. Dec. 5, 1832; d. July 1, 1877); bur. Glenn-Cheek Cemetery, Durham, NC. Notice of auction of the estate of David M. CHEEK, dec'd, was published in The Weekly Standard, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 4, 1863, by the adm'r, Thomas FERRELL; "a considerable quantity of personal property, viz: horses, mules, hogs, cattle, oxen, an excellent 4 horse wagon, some provisions, household and kitchen furniture, stock upon farm, and growing crop." Children: Mildred A. Cheek (1855), John J. Cheek (1857), Nancy J. Cheek (1859), Virginia Elizabeth "Jency" Cheek (1860), David M. Cheek Jr. (1863).
- William Cheek, b. abt. 1835, Orange Co., NC; m. Margaret WILKINS, Nov. 29, 1853, Orange Co., NC; bondsmen David M. CHEEK & Jones WATSON.
- Jasper Allen Cheek, b. abt. 1838, Orange Co., NC; d. July 1, 1863, Battle of Gettysburg, PA (Civil War).
- Martha A. Cheek, b. abt. 1839, Orange Co., NC; m. William WOLF, Feb. 14, 1857, Orange Co., NC.
- Boroughs Cheek, mentioned in documents concerning John Cheek's estate; no other info.
Oct. 31, 1818. John CHEEK and Jinney WILLIAMS posted a marriage bond in Orange Co., NC; Anderson CHEEK, bondsman.
1820 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.318: JOHN CHEEK
|1 w/m 16-25||1 w/f under 10|
|1 slave||2 w/f 16-25|
1830 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.254: JOHN CHEEK "of
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f 5-9|
|2 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 20-29|
|1 w/m 20-29|
Mar. 2, 1838. Orange Co., NC. John CHEEK to Lem MORGAN, deed of trust, 200 acres on Ellerby's Creek, 7 Negroes, livestock, farming & household implements, to secure debts to Bank of Cape Fear and James WEBB. (Orange DB 27, p.589.)
Nov. 6, 1839. Orange Co., NC. William CAIN to John CHEEK, 504 acres beg. on south side of Ellerbee Creek at Hutchins Ford; part of 1,004 acres jointly purchased by William CAIN & John CHEEK from James WEBB adj. Wm. DILLARD, dec'd, Allen HUTCHINS, Lewis HUTCHINS, Richard HOLEMAN & others. (Orange DB 28, p.502.)
Feb. 3, 1840. John CHEEK to Anderson CHEEK, 260 ¾ acres on Ellerbee Creek adj. John CHEEK & Anderson FERRELL. (Orange DB 29, p.68.)
1840 Census, Orange Co., NC, So. Div., p.238: JOHN
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/f 20-29|
Mar. 21, 1843. John CHEEK to Anderson CHEEK, deed of trust, 200 whereon he now lives and 5 Negroes, livestock & furnishings, to secure debt of $1,057.55 owed to Jesse B. GEER. (Orange DB 30, p.144.)
Mar. 21, 1843. John CHEEK to James Marion CHEEK, 133 acres on Ellerbee Creek, south end of John CHEEK's property. (Orange DB 30, p.294.)
Feb. 24, 1848. John CHEEK died intestate in Orange Co., NC. The estate records indicate that John CHEEK died possessed of 262 ½ acres of which 87 ½ acres were laid off to Jinny CHEEK as dower. Son David M. CHEEK was appointed administrator. The heirs petitioned for sale of land Nov. 1849. The land was sold on Feb. 28, 1850; 66 acres purchased by Gray BARBEE for $240.25 and 201 acres by Jesse B. GEER for $345.
- 1850 Census, Orange Co., NC, 1st Dist., p.220
DAVID M. CHEEK, 26, farmer, $550, NC
- -- Jinsey, 50, NC <<widow of John Cheek
- -- Jasper, 12, NC
- COOK, Betsy, 22, NC
- WEAVER, Riley, 30, B, NC
- 1860 Census, Orange Co., NC, Hillsboro P.O., p.394
DAVID M. CHEEK, 34, farmer, $--, $12,300, NC
- -- Lucy J., 28, NC
- -- Jane, 60, NC <<widow of John Cheek
- -- Mildred A., 5, NC
- -- John J., 3, NC
- -- Puss[?], 1, f, NC