Romulus Z. Linney (R. Lynn) Cheek
& Olivie May Jennings, Mallie McDora Choate
Romulus Z. Linney (R. Lynn) Cheek, son of Richard "Dixie" CHEEK & Martha "Patsy" JENNINGS, was born Aug. 1879, Alleghany Co., NC, and died June 17, 1953, in Oxford, Chester Co., PA. He married (1) Olivie May Jennings, daughter of William JENNINGS & Christina "Tina" DUNCAN, July 26, 1901, Alleghany Co., NC. She was born Dec. 22, 1884, in Alleghany Co., NC, and died Feb. 12, 1904, in Alleghany Co., NC; bur. at the Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Road 1412, Alleghany Co., NC. He married (2) Mallie McDora Choate, daughter of Joshua Sabret CHOATE & Margaret "Peggy" FENDER, June 12, 1905, Alleghany Co., NC. She was born June 27, 1877, in Grayson Co., VA, and died Oct. 1, 1962, in Chester Co., PA. R.Lynn and Mallie Cheek are buried at the Oxford Cemetery in Chester Co., PA.
Children of R. Lynn Cheek & Olivie May Jennings: none.
Children of R. Lynn Cheek & Mallie Choate:
- Talmage Cheek, b. June 25, 1906, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Aug. 20, 1906; bur. Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Clarence Crockett Cheek, b. July 29, 1907, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Nov. 18, 1976, Orlando, FL; m. Vida Mary EDWARDS, daughter of Gilbert M. EDWARDS & Etta M. KIRBY (b. Sept. 5, 1910; d. Dec. 24, 2006).
- Walter Dee Cheek (m.), b. Oct. 18, 1908, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Mar. 21, 1924, Chester Co., PA; bur. Oxford Cemetery, Chester Co., PA.
- Page Cheek, b. Mar. 1911, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 21, 1913; bur. Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
omulus Z. Linney Cheek, also known as R. Lynn, Linney, or Reid Linney Cheek, was probably named after Romulus Zachariah LINNEY, a politician and lawyer from western North Carolina who served four terms in the State Senate and three terms in U.S. House of Representatives. The fact that Senator Linney was a Republican (the party of Abraham Lincoln and Reconstruction) may indicate something about the politics in western North Carolina in the years after the Civil War. There is no evidence that the Cheeks were personally acquainted with Senator Linney, but he must have been an admired figure. R.Z. Linney did some business in Alleghany County with local attorneys W.C. Fields and E.L. Vaughan (see, e.g., Alleghany DB 4:382 and 5:48).
R. Lynn Cheek married his first wife, Olivie Mae JENNINGS, on July 27, 1901, in Alleghany County, NC. She died in 1904 and he remarried to Mollie CHOATE. In 1919, they sold their land and moved to Chester County, Pennsylvania.
1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp., p.241 (Richard Cheek, HH#14):
Rz. Linna, age 3
1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp., p.134 (Richard Cheek, HH#96):
Romulous L., age 20
- 1910 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp., p.2
R.L. CHEEK, 30, m(2) 4 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Mallie, wife, 31, m(1) 4 yrs, 3 children/2 living, VA NC NC
- -- Clarence, son, 2, NC NC VA
- -- Dee, son, 1, " " "
- CHEEK, Richard, father, 78, m. 52 yrs, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Martha, mother, 70, m. 52 yrs, 10 children/7 living, NC NC NC
- 1920 Census, Chester Co., PA, West Nottingham Twp.,
LINNEY CHEEK, 40, NC NC VA, farmer - general farm
- -- Mallie, 41, VA NC NC
- -- Clarence, 12, NC NC VA
- -- Dee, son, 10, " " "
- 1930 Census Chester Co., PA, East Nottingham Twp., p.6
ROBERT* L. CHEEK, 50, 1st m. at age 22, NC NC NC, occupation: house carpenter
- -- Mallie, wife, 52, 1st m. at age 24, VA NC NC
- -- Clarence C., son, 22, NC NC NC
*Note: The name "Robert" may be a mistake by the census-taker. Although R. Lynn Cheek rarely used his first name, the 1900 census proves it was "Romulus" not Robert (see above).
- 1940 Census Chester Co., PA, East Nottingham Twp., Sheet 7A
REED L. CHEEK, 61, NC, house carpenter
- -- Mallie M., wife, 62, VA
Feb. 17, 1908. N.C. REED & wife Leota to R.L. CHEEK & wife Mallie, 25 ¾ acres adj. D.R. COX, M.B. COX, Sallie ANDERS, Reed M. EVANS, J.R. COX, & the School House, for $400. Signed: N.C. REED, Leota REED. [No wits.] Proved Feb. 24, 1908 (ack'd). Reg. Mar. 18, 1908. (Alleghany DB 23:98.)
Dec. 8, 1911. Richard CHEEK & wife Martha, R.L. CHEEK & wife Mallie, R.E. CHEEK & wife Cora, to A.M. EDWARDS, 59 acres adj. R.M. EDWARDS, a road, R.L. CHEEK, MOXLEY, H.C. NICHOLS, Mrs. BURRUS, for $1,749.25. Signed by the grantors. Proved Jan. 6, 1912. Reg. Mar. 12, 1912. (Alleghany Co., NC, DB 26:283.)
Feb. 9, 1914. R.L. CHEEK & wife Mallie to Solomon WILLEY, Wm. MOXLEY, & Meredith [CHEEK?], the Building Committee of the Pleasant Home Church, 1 acre 48 poles adj. Reed EDWARDS & the Pleasant Home Church lands, beg. on the northeast corner of the graveyard, for $5. Signed: R.L. CHEEK, Mallie CHEEK. Proved Feb. 9, 1914. Reg. Mar. 24, 1917. (Alleghany Co., NC, DB 28:510.)
Nov. 13, 1919. R.L. CHEEK & wife Mallie & Martha CHEEK to G.B. TODD, 2 tracts adj. M.B. COX, J.M. WAGONER, Wm. MOXLEY, & R.H. BROWN?, for $7,665. 1st tract: 102 acres. 2nd tract: 25 ¾ acres adj. the School House lot. Signed: R.L. CHEEK, Mallie CHEEK, Martha (X) CHEEK. Proved Nov. 19, 1919. Reg. Dec. 9, 1919. (Alleghany Co., NC, DB 31:272.)