Robert "Robin" Cheek, Jr., &
Martha "Patsy" Andrews
Robert "Robin" Cheek, Jr., son of Robert CHEEK & Ann COCKE, was born abt. 1777 in Orange Co., NC, and died before Aug. 1866 in Orange Co., NC. He married Martha "Patsy" Andrews, daughter of William ANDREWS & Mary LLOYD(?), on Nov. 27, 1798, in Orange Co., NC. She was born abt. 1778 in Orange Co., NC, and died between 1870-1880 in Orange Co., NC.
Children of Robert "Robin" Cheek & Martha "Patsy" Andrews:
- +Alexander "Sandy" Cheek, b. Oct. 9, 1799, Orange Co., NC; d. May 27, 1855, Freestone Co., TX; m. Nancy STROUD, Jan. 22, 1820 (b. Jan. 13, 1801; d. Feb. 15, 1884).
- +Sarah "Sally" Cheek, b. abt. 1800, Orange Co., NC; d. abt. 1870, Alleghany Co., NC; m. her 1st cousin, William ANDREWS, son of Rev. Mark ANDREWS & Elizabeth BAILEY, Aug. 23, 1823, Orange Co., NC (b. abt. 1804; d. 1877).
- +William Cheek, b. Sept. 21, 1803, Orange Co., NC; d. Nov. 9, 1895, Orange Co., NC; m. (1) Mary "Polly" CRAIG, daughter of James CRAIG & Sarah BURNS, Nov. 1, 1824, Orange Co., NC (b. June 1805; d. Jan. 9, 1863); m. (2) Nancy JONES, Nov. 27, 1864, Orange Co., NC (b. abt. 1815; d. 1870-1880); m. (3) Penelope BISHOP, bet. 1870-1880 (b. abt. 1803; d. 1906); bur. William Cheek Cemetery, Bingham, Orange Co., NC.
- +Robert Cheek?, b. Aug. 2, 1805, Orange Co., NC; d. 1865, Alamance Co., NC; m. Elizabeth ROBINSON, Dec. 15, 1831, Orange Co., NC (b. abt. 1809; d. 1886).
- +Henry Cheek, b. abt. 1809, Orange Co., NC; d. 1870-1880, Orange Co., NC; m. Sylvia "Silvey" WILLIAMS, Jan. 2, 1829, Orange Co., NC (b. abt. 1807; d. aft. 1880).
- +Merritt Cheek, b. Nov. 8, 1811, Orange Co., NC; d. Oct. 10, 1898, Orange Co., NC; m. (1) Frances "Fanny" HUNTER, Jan. 1, 1832, Orange Co., NC (b. abt. 1812; d. 1840-1848); m. (2) Elizabeth WEAVER, Jan. 25, 1848, Orange Co., NC (b. Apr. 7, 1820; d. Dec. 15, 1880); bur. Bethel Baptist Church, Orange Co., NC.
- +Richard Cheek, b. 1815, Orange Co., NC; d. 1868, Orange Co., NC; m. Sarah CATES, daughter of Thomas & Martha CATES, abt. 1838 (b. abt. 1817; d. aft. 1880).
- +Alfred Cheek, b. abt. 1818, Orange Co., NC; d. 1860-1866, Orange Co., NC; maybe m. (1) Sarah C. LLOYD, Jan. 5, 1841, Orange Co., NC; m. (2) Melinda SMITH, Dec. 26, 1848, Orange Co., NC (b. abt. 1828; d. 1850-1859); m. (3) Martha CLARK, July 31, 1858, Orange Co., NC (b. abt. 1828; d. unk). No children identified.
- +Wesley Cheek, b. 1820, Orange Co., NC; d. Apr. 1847, Orange Co., NC; m. Euphemia POE, daughter of Hasten POE, abt. 1845 (b. abt. 1828; d. aft. 1880).
obert Cheek, Jr., also known as "Robin" Cheek was born about 1777. His relationship to his father, Robert Cheek, Sr., is proven by court records concerning a lawsuit filed in 1823 in Orange Co., NC, by John McKerral against Stanford Cheek. The dispute involved title to land originally owned by Robert Cheek, Sr. (NC Archives No. CR 07.325.136, "Civil Actions Concerning Land for Orange Co., NC," 1823 folder; see notes under Robert Cheek, Sr.)
Robert Jr. and his wife, Patsy, are also mentioned in court records concerning a rather disturbing incident involving Robert's younger brother Richard Cheek, Richard's wife Jane (Jennie) Andrews, and their brother-in-law Charles Jones (husband of their sister Elizabeth Cheek). (NC Archives CR 073.326.1, Orange Co., NC Criminal Action Papers, undated folder). Jennie Cheek accused Charles Jones of attacking her and beating her unconscious with a sassafras stick. Click here for more information about the strange lawsuit that ensued.
Robert Cheek, Jr., owned 168 acres on New Hope Creek, according to the 1816 tax list. At the time of his death in 1866, 80 acres were left, which were purchased by his son Merritt Cheek. Robert "Robin" Cheek died intestate but the court records identify his children as William, Henry, Merritt, Richard, Alexander, Alfred, and Wesley, and a daughter Sally ANDREWS.
Nov. 27, 1798. Orange Co., NC. Robert CHEEK & Patsey "ANDRUS" (ANDREWS) posted a marriage bond; bondsmen: Will ANDRUS, Thomas H. BENTON.
1800 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.555: ROBERT CHEEK,
|1 w/m 26-45||b.1755-1774 = Robert (c.1777)|
|1 w/f under 10||b.1790-1800 = Sarah (prob. c.1800)|
|1 w/f 26-45||b.1755-1774 = Martha (c.1778)|
1810 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.137: ROBERT CHEEK,
|3 w/m under 10||b.1800-1810 = William (c.1803), Robert? (1805), Henry (c.1810)|
|1 w/m 26-45||b.1795-1800 = Alexander (c.1799)|
|1 w/f 26-45||b.1765-1784 = Robert (c.1777)|
|1 w/f 10-15||b.1795-1800 = Sarah (prob. c.1800)|
|1 w/f 26-45||b.1765-1784 = Martha (c.1778)|
1816 Tax List, Orange Co., NC: Robert CHEEK, Jun., New Hope, 168 acres, $338. (NCGSJ, 5:117, May 1979.)
1820 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.298: ROBERT CHEEK
|4 w/m under 10||b.1810-20 =||Henry (c.1810), Merritt (c.1811), Richd (1815), Alfred (c.1818)|
|2 w/m 10-15||b.1805-1810 = William (c.1803), Robert? (1805)|
|1 w/m 26-45||b.1775-1794 = Alexander (c.1799)|
|1 w/m over 45||b. bef. 1775 = Robert (c.1777)|
|1 w/f 16-25||b.1795-1804 = Sarah (prob. c.1800)|
|1 w/f 26-45||b. 1775-1794 = prob. Alexander's wife Nancy (1801)|
|1 w/f over 45||b. bef. 1775 = Martha (c.1778)|
1830 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.264: ROBERT CHEEK
|1 w/m 5-9||b.1831-1835 = unk. male (probably a grandchild)|
|1 w/m 10-14||b.1816-1820 = Alfred (c.1818) or Wesley? (c.1820)|
|2 w/m 15-19||b.1811-1815 =||Merritt (1811), Richard (1815) &/or Henry? (c.1810)|
|1 w/m 50-59||b.1770-1780 = Robert (c.1777)|
|1 w/f 50-59||b.1770-1780 = Martha (c.1778)|
Note: Alexander and William were both married by 1830 and are listed separately in the census. Three other sons present in 1820 seem to be missing in 1830 (1 male born 1805-1810 and 2 males born 1810-1820).
1840 Census: There is a Robert CHEEK listed on page 247 of the 1840 Census of Orange Co., NC, Southern Div., but he is too young (40-49) to be Robert "Robin" Cheek. This was probably Robert's nephew Robert Cheek (1799).
- 1850 Census; Orange Co., NC, 1st Dist.,
ROBIN CHEEK, 73, farmer, $189, b. in Orange NC
- -- Martha, 72, Orange NC
- -- Sally, 8, Orange NC
- 1860 Census, Orange Co., NC, Rock
Spring P.O., p.554 (HH#453):
ROBB CHEEK, 85, farmer, $300, $705, NC
- -- Martha, 83, NC
- -- Sallie, 18, NC
Administration of Robert Cheek's Estate
- Aug. 28, 1866. Bond of $400 for administration of the estate of Robert CHEEK posted by William CHEEK with Merritt CHEEK and Richard CHEEK.
- Aug. 30, 1866. Petition for sale of land filed by William CHEEK as adminstrator of Robert Cheek, deceased. The petition states that the Robert Cheek died intestate and that at the time of his death he owned a tract of land containing about 80 acres adjoining "the heirs of Calvin ANDREWS & others." The petition further reveals that "said land upon his death descended to his children Wm. CHEEK, Henry CHEEK, Sally ANDREWS, Merritt CHEEK, Rich. CHEEK & his grandchildren the heirs of Alex CHEEK, the heirs of Alfred CHEEK & the heirs of Westly CHEEK, who it is believed are minors." The petition states that Robert CHEEK had no other real estate or personal estate (i.e., money) and asks the court to approve the sale of the land to pay Robert's debts.
- Nov. term, 1866. William CHEEK advises the court that Robert CHEEK's land was sold on Oct. 20, 1866, to Merritt CHEEK for the sum of $114.
- Nov. term, 1866. Martha CHEEK, the widow of Robert CHEEK, through her attorney Henry K. NASH, files a petition for a year's allowance. The court grants the petition on Dec. 7, 1866, and appoints William J. HOGAN, Esq., a Justice of the Peace, along with Neverson C. CATE, James M. DURHAM and Thomas J. HOGAN, to view the premises of the deceased.
- Jan. 28, 1867. William J. HOGAN, JP, Neverson C. CATE, James M. DURHAM, and Thomas J. HOGAN report that they have viewed the premises of the deceased, and there being no crop, stock or provisions on hand, they have assessed the sum of $115 to be paid to Martha CHEEK by the administrator of the estate.
- Feb. 20, 1871. William CHEEK files a final account of the estate of Robert CHEEK which is approved by George LAWS, the probate judge. The entire value of Robert CHEEK's estate came to $126.50 which included the sale of land ($114) and a sale of personal property ($12.50). Martha CHEEK received most of this for her widow's allowance, and the rest paid for court costs.
- 1870 Census, Orange Co., NC, Chapel
Hill Twp., p.170 (HH#358):
MERRITT CHEEK, 58, farming, $800, $500, NC
- -- Martha, 91, NC << Robt. Cheek's widow
- HOLLY, Crenshaw, 18, works on farm, NC
- ADAMS, William, 38, house carpenter, NC
- -- Mary Ann, 28, NC