Robert Cheek (1799)
of Alamance County, NC
Robert Cheek, son of James CHEEK & Martha "Patty" ESTRIDGE (ESTES), was born June 6, 1799, in Orange Co., NC, and died Jan. 23, 1885, in Chatham Co., NC. He married (1) Martha Ann Sykes, daughter of John F. SYKES & Frances CATES, Nov. 24, 1824, in Orange Co., NC. She was born bet. 1800-1810 in Orange Co., NC, and died abt. 1840 in Orange Co., NC. He married (2) Rebecca Whitlock, May 28, 1841, in Orange Co., NC. She was born abt. 1809 in NC, and died Feb. 8, 1889, in Chatham Co., NC. Robert and his 2nd wife, Rebecca, are buried at the Hope Methodist Church Cemetery in Bonlee, Chatham Co., NC.
Children of Robert Cheek & Martha Ann Sykes:
- Henry Alvis Cheek, b. Oct. 1, 1828, Orange Co., NC; d. Oct. 7, 1899, Alamance Co., NC; m. (1) Frances Catherine THOMAS, abt. 1850 (b. abt. 1822; d. abt. 1860); m. (2) Penia Catherine THOMAS, Sept. 15, 1861, Alamance Co., NC (b. Mar. 13, 1838; d. Dec. 13, 1903); bur. St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Alamance Co., NC. Children: Mary Cheek (c.1851), Alexander Cheek (c.1853), Frances Cheek (c.1855), John Cheek (c.1857), Alph Cheek (c.1859), Thomas Lee Cheek (1863), Charles Cheek (c.1866), Robert Walter Cheek (1868), James Cheek (c.1870), Merriman Cheek (c.1873), Eugene Cheek (1877), James Cheek (c.1878), Daisy Cheek (1879).
- Martha A. Cheek, b. abt. 1832, Orange Co., NC.
- Rebecca J. Cheek, b. abt. 1835, Orange Co., NC.
- Mary E. Cheek, b. abt. 1838, Orange Co., NC.
Children of Robert Cheek & Rebecca Whitlock:
- Charles Christmas Cheek, b. May 29, 1842, Orange Co., NC; d. May 8, 1900, Chatham Co., NC; m. (1) Martha P. "Mattie" CRAWFORD, Dec. 28, 1871, Alamance Co., NC (b. June 21, 1851; d. Mar. 30, 1876; m. (2) Emma C. CRAWFORD, Dec. 28, 1876, Alamance Co., NC (b. Dec. 2, 1854; d. Nov. 6, 1932); bur. Hope Methodist Church, Bonlee, Chatham Co., NC. First wife, Mattie P., is buried at Providence Church in Graham, Alamance Co., NC. Charles C. Cheek, "a native of Hillsborough, and a Confederate War veteran, moved to Chatham County about 1870 and opened a store at a place called Cartersville, east of Mt. Vernon Springs. Some five years later he moved his store to a farm he had bought near Mt. Vernon Springs. About 1800 [sic] he moved to Ore Hill and there opened a store that brought him prominence as a merchant." (Chatham County 1771-1971, p.97, pub. by the Chatham Co. Hist. Society.) Children: Mary Emma Cheek (c.1872), Mattie C. Cheek (c.1875), Annie Denny Cheek (c.1878), Charles Denny Cheek (c.1879), Ava Louise Cheek (c.1881), Alene R. Cheek (1884), Oma Mae Cheek (1888), Edna Carolyn Cheek (c.1890), Cornelia C. Cheek (1892), Lucille Marie Cheek (1896).
- George N. (Nash?) Cheek, b. Sept. 1844, Orange Co., NC; d. aft. 1900, Alamance Co., NC; m. Mary ANTHONY, Mar. 4, 1869, Alamance Co., NC (b. abt. 1840; d. bef. 1900). Children: Florence Cheek (c.1870), Adolphus Cheek (c.1873), Anna Cheek (c.1877), Ira[?] Cheek (f, 1880). Here's an unusual reference to Adolphus CHEEK (son of George N. Cheek) which appeared in the Manual of Artificial Limbs (NY: A.A. Marks Co., 1905), Ch. 37 ("Testimonials"): "DOLPH CHEEK - Salesman, Alamance Co., N.C. Below elbow. 'It gives me great pleasure to say that the artificial hand made and fitted from measurements is perfect in every respect. People do not suspect me to be a one-armed man, as the "artificial hand" looks so natural. I can hold a book or paper in my rubber hand. With the hook and ring attachments I can do most any kind of work, people are surprised to see how well I get along. I can write with my hand, hold a knife to trim the finger nails on my left hand. Dec. 19, 1904.'"
- John Franklin Cheek, b. July 23, 1846, Orange Co., NC; d. Jan. 26, 1894, Alamance Co., NC; m. Rebecca A. NOAH, Sept. 14, 1871 (b. Aug. 22, 1849; d. Sept. 22, 1934); bur. St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Alamance Co., NC. Children: Flora Cheek (1872), Charles N. Cheek (1875), Daisy Cheek (1877, d.1879), Floyd Jarvis Cheek (1879), John Bunyan Cheek (1891), Mary Jane Cheek (1884), Emma Grace Cheek (1888), William Eugene Cheek (1890).
- Nancy Orianna Cheek, b. abt. 1848, Orange (Alamance) Co., NC; m. Samuel A. CURTIS, Nov. 16, 1871, Alamance Co., NC.
obert Cheek (1799) of Alamance County, NC, may be a son of James Cheek (1762), but this is not verified. James Cheek died intestate and I do not know if anyone has checked the court records for estate papers which might identify his heirs. This might be useful. Based on census records, James (1762) did have a son born between 1795-1800, who could be Robert born in 1799. (Thanks to Diane Williams for providing information on this line of the Cheek family!)
Nov. 24, 1824. Orange Co., NC. Robert CHEEK and Martha Ann SYKES posted a marriage bond; bondsman: Burrhus CHEEK.
1830 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.273: ROBERT CHEEK
|2 w/m under 5||2 w/f 20-29|
|1 w/m 30-39|
1840 Census, Orange Co., NC, So. Div., p.247: ROBERT
|1 w/m 10-14||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 40-49||2 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/f 30-39|
May 28, 1841. Orange Co., NC. Robert CHEEK & Rebecca WHITLOCK posted a marriage bond; bondsman C. C. SMITH.
Note: Rebecca WHITLOCK was the daughter of Nancy WHITLOCK of Orange County, NC. They are mentioned in the will of Dr. Charles CHRISTMAS, a prominent physician in Orange County. In Charles Christmas's will, dated Dec. 20, 1811, proved Feb. court 1812, he left his estate in trust for the raising of six children of Sarah SMITH (John, Charles, Nancy, Patheny, William, & Susannah) and "the raising and schooling of a child of Nancy WILLOCKS (viz) Rebeckah." (Orange Co., NC, WB D, p.322.) According to some sources, Dr. Charles Christmas was the father of Rebecca Whitlock, but according to other sources, Rebecca was the daughter of James and Nancy Whitlock. In any event, Rebecca Whitlock and Robert Cheek's son Charles Christmas Cheek was undoubtedly named after Dr. Charles Christmas.
Geographic Note: Alamance County was formed from Orange County in 1849.
- 1850 Census, Alamance Co., NC, So. Dist., p.30
ROBERT CHEEK, age 51, laborer, born in NC
- -- Rebecca, 41, NC
-- Martha A., 18, NC
-- Rebecca J., 15, NC
-- Mary E., 12, NC
-- Charles C., 8, NC
-- George M., 6, NC
-- Jno F., 4, NC
-- Nancy A., 2, NC
Nancy WHITLOCK, 80, NC
Note: Robert Cheek and his wife Rebecca seem to have been living separately in 1860.
- 1860 Census, Alamance Co., NC, Graham P.O., p.184
ROBERT CHEEK, 60, laborer, $--, $50, NC
- JOHNSTON, J.C., 14, m, NC
-- [???] T., 11, m, NC
-- Nancy, 5, NC
-- Ely, 1, NC
- 1860 Census, Alamance Co., NC, Graham P.O., p.180
LEWIS GRAINGER, 52, farmer, $--, $700, NC
- -- Sallie, 50, NC
CHEEK, Rebecca, 50, NC
-- C.C., 18, m, laborer, NC
-- G.N., 16, m, NC
-- J.T., 15, m, NC
-- N.O., 12, f, NC
- 1870 Census, Alamance Co., NC, Patterson Twp., p.128
JOHN CHEEK, 23, farmer, $150, $250, NC
- -- Robert, 71, NC
- -- Rebecca, 62, NC
- -- Orianna, 21, NC
- 1880 Census, Chatham Co., NC, Matthews Twp.,
CHARLES C. CHEEK, 38, NC NC NC, merchant
- -- Emma C., wife, 24, NC NC NC
-- Mary E., dau, 7, " " "
-- Mattie C., dau, 5, " " "
-- Annie D., dau, 2, " " "
-- Charlie C., son, 8 mos., " " "
-- Robert, father, 80, " " "
-- Rebecca, mother, 70, " " "