William Bryant Cheek
& Jane Edwards
William Bryant Cheek, son of Henderson CHEEK & Lucy BRYAN was born Nov. 24, 1844, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Apr. 24, 1932, in Alleghany Co., NC. He m. Jane Edwards, daughter of Starling EDWARDS & Amy WILES, June 16, 1867, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was born Mar. 28, 1849, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Nov. 18, 1911, in Alleghany Co., NC. William and Jane Cheek are buried at the Liberty Baptist Church in Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of William Bryant Cheek & Jane Edwards:
- John Morgan Cheek, Sr., b. Feb. 26, 1868, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Oct. 19, 1959, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Olive V. CORNETT, daughter of George W. CORNETT & Sarah GENTRY, June 27, 1900, Grayson Co., VA (b. May 27, 1873, Grayson Co., VA; d. Feb. 22, 1958); bur. Liberty Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Margaret C. Cheek (c.1902), John Morgan Cheek, Jr. (1908), Ralph Bryant Cheek (1909).
- Laura E. Cheek, b. Dec. 24, 1871, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Dec. 29, 1955, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Eugene TRANSOU, son of Sidney M. TRANSOU & Sinesca A. MASTIN of Ashe Co., NC, Nov. 28, 1894, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 22, 1872; d. Sept. 22, 1946); bur. Liberty Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. No children.
This rockpile on Cheek Mountain
marks the site of W.B. Cheek's house
illiam Bryant Cheek served in the Civil War but was too young to enlist with his older brothers Morgan and Francis in 1861. Military records indicate that William B. Cheek enlisted as a private on May 3, 1862, in Co. I, 61st North Carolina Infantry Regiment. He gave his birthdate as Apr. 14, 1844, meaning he had turned just 18 two weeks before he enlisted. However, this date inconsistent with his gravestone, which has a birthdate of Nov. 24, 1844. Also, he may have lied about his year of birth. According to the census, he was 4 years old in 1850 and 13 years old in 1860, so born in 1846 or 1847. He may have been as young as 15 or 16 when he joined the army.
Military records describe William's occupation as a laborer. He was on the rolls Nov. 15, 1862, and Feb. 15, 1863. He was furloughed for 30 days on Apr. 9, 1863, and was reported AWOL on May 9, 1863. He returned Dec. 31, 1863. He was furloughed for 30 days on Jan. 29, 1864, and returned May 1, 1864. William was taken POW on Aug. 19, 1864, at Globe Tavern, VA, and imprisoned at Point Lookout, MD. He was released seven months later in a prisoner exchange on Mar. 15, 1865, at Boulware's Wharf, VA. (Source: "American Civil War Soldiers," Ancestry.com, and "Ashe and Alleghany County in the Civil War" by Jeff Weaver.) William returned home after the war and married Jane Edwards in 1867.
William B. Cheek seems to have been a successful farmer and businessman who bought and sold many pieces of property in Alleghany County during his lifetime, particularly around his home tract on Peach Bottom Mountain (now known as Cheek Mountain). He was apparently in business with his father-in-law, Starling Edwards, and Starling's brother Center J. Edwards. Many of William B. Cheek's land transactions are listed on the next page.
June 16, 1867. William CHEEK & Jane EDWARDS were married in Alleghany Co., NC. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).)
May 26, 1869. Henderson CHEEK & wife Lucy to Wm. B. CHEEK, 156 acres on Little River on top of Peach Bottom Mountain, adj. HOPPERAS [HOPPERS], a branch, & the line of a 150 acre tract, for $500. Signed: Henderson CHEEK, Lucy CHEEK. Wit: F.B. CHEEK, Isom FENDER. Proved July 2, 1869 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 1:263.)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cranberry Twp.
WILLIAM CHEEK, 28, farmer, NC
- -- Jane, 21, keeps house, NC
- -- John, 3, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cranberry Twp.
WILLIAM B. CHEEK, 35, farmer, b. in NC, father b. in NC, mother b. in NC
- -- Jane, 30, wife, keeping house, NC NC NC
- -- John M., 12, son, NC NC NC
- -- Laura E., 8, daughter, NC NC NC
May 28, 1881. Henderson CHEEK & wife Lucy to W.B. CHEEK, for $30, 5 1/8 acres on HOPPERS Creek adj. HOPPERS old line. Signed: Henderson CHEEK, Lucy CHEEK. Wit: J.C. EDWARDS. Proved May 28, 1881, by the grantors; C.J. EDWARDS, J.P. Reg. Mar. 21, 1908. (Alleghany DB 23:114.)
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Whitehead Twp.
WILLIAM CHEEK, Nov. 1844, age 55, m. 33 yrs, NC NC NC
- -- Jane, wife, Mar. 1849, age 51, m. 33 yrs, 2 children born, 2 living, NC NC NC
- -- John M., son, Feb. 1868, age 32, NC NC NC
- OSBORN, Sallie, servant, [??] 1884, age 16, NC NC NC
- 1910 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Whitehead Twp., p.6
WILLIAM B. CHEEK, age 64, m. 43 years, NC NC NC, farmer - general farm
- -- Jane, wife, 60, m. 43 years, 2 children/2 living, NC NC NC
- OSBORN, Florence, servant, 24, NC NC NC
- FENDER, Edny Burrill, niece, 6, NC NC NC
1920 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Whitehead Twp., ED#19,
WILLIAM CHEEKS, 75, wd, NC NC NC, farmer - general farm
1930 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Whitehead Twp., p.2
(Mack Edwards, HH#23):
WILLIAM CHEEK, 85, lodger, widower, NC NC NC
Death Certificate: WILLIAM B. CHEEK, age 87 yrs 5 mos., b. abt. 1844, Alleghany Co., NC; d. 24 Apr 1932, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC; spouse: Jane EDWARDS; father: H.C. CHEEK; mother: Lucy BRYANT; bur. Liberty Church. (Ancestry.com)