Richard "Dickie" Edwards
& Edith Barton
Richard "Dickie" Edwards, son of Young EDWARDS, Sr., was born Oct. 20, 1798, probably in Ashe Co., NC, and died 1890 in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Edith Barton (Burton), daughter of John BARTON & Elizabeth PENNINGTON. She was born 1799 in Wilkes Co., NC, and died 1881 in Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Richard "Dickie" Edwards & Edith Barton:
- +Isaac Edwards, b. Mar. 3, 1820, in Ashe Co., NC, d. Feb. 12, 1890, in Alleghany Co., NC; m. Gilley CHEEK, daughter of Richard CHEEK & Jennie ANDREWS, abt. 1842 (b. Oct. 15, 1818; d. Feb. 15, 1892); bur. Edwards & Maines Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Celia Jane Edwards, b. abt. 1822, Ashe Co., NC; m. Levi S. WILLEY, son of Hezekiah WILLEY & Mary ANDREWS, Dec. 23, 1858, Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1839; d. Oct. 15, 1864, in the Civil War).
- +John E. Edwards, b. Apr. 24, 1824, Ashe Co., NC; d. Dec. 1, 1865, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Delilah Jane HIGGINS, daughter of John HIGGINS & Susan EDWARDS, abt. 1847 (b. Oct. 14, 1828; d. Sept. 11, 1916); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Meshack Edwards, b. Feb. 17, 1829, Ashe Co., NC; d. Apr. 24, 1906, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Chloe BLEVINS, Oct. 2, 1853, Ashe Co., NC (b. Aug. 2, 1831; d. Dec. 2, 1911); bur. Glade Creek Church, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Sarah Ann Edwards (1858), Amanda Catherine Edwards (1860), Lucinda Edwards (c.1863), Rosanna Edwards (c.1865), Andrew Mack Edwards (c.1867), John Smith Edwards (1869).
- Allen Young "Boss Al" Edwards, b. Feb. 25, 1833, Ashe Co., NC; d. May 31, 1908, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Margaret "Peggy" FENDER, daughter of Levi FENDER & Jane EVANS, Jan. 14, 1858, Ashe Co., NC (b. 1835; d. Apr. 6, 1892); m. (2) Martha HUDSON, daughter of Joseph HUDSON & Delilah BILLINGS, Feb. 15, 1893, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1855; d. 1942); bur. Old Chestnut Grove Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Matilda Edwards (c.1858), Sarah Jane Edwards (1860), Isaac F. Edwards (1865), Young Richard Edwards (c.1869), Martha Edwards (1870).
- Calvin Edwards, b. June 2, 1835, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 19, 1883, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Sarah ANDREWS, daughter of Lorenzo D. ANDREWS & Margaret CROUSE, abt. 1856 (b. Aug. 20, 1834; d. May 14, 1914); bur. Mustering Ground Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Margaret Edwards (c.1857), Melvina Edwards (1861), Media Ann Edwards (1866), Cora Edwards (1866), Rena Evaline Edwards (1869), Phebe Edwards (c.1871), Sarah E. Edwards (c.1873), Doctor McClain (McClellan) Edwards (1877).
- Creed Edwards, b. Dec. 31, 1837, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 28, 1916, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Elizabeth Rachel KENNEDY, daughter of Ruffin KENNEDY & Nancy NIXON, Nov. 19, 1865 (b. Feb. 8, 1849; d. Sept. 6, 1927); bur. Glade Creek Church, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Nancy C. "Nannie" Edwards (1867) m. Andrew Jackson WILLEY; Columbus Sherman "Bud" Edwards (1869), Flora Ennice Edwards (1871), James Edwards (1874), Fannie Edwards (1875), Mary W. Edwards (1877), Minnie Edwards (1881), Jannie Beatrice Edwards (1888) m. Calvin Monroe TODD.
- Emeline Edwards, b. abt. 1841, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug. 28, 1897, Grayson Co., VA; m. Calvin Jones HACKLER, son of George HACKLER & Mary HAMPTON (b. Dec. 1842; d. May 1924); bur. Hackler Cemetery, Independence, Grayson Co., VA. Children: Alice C. Hackler (1862), Mary Frances Hackler (c.1864), Joseph Lafayette Hackler (c.1866), John F. Hackler (1867), Jane "Jennie" Lynn Hackler (1869), Emma Hackler (1872), Mary Amelia Hackler (c.1876), Rosabelle Hackler (c.1877), Callie Hackler (1882), Mina N. Hackler (m.) (1884).
- Susan Elizabeth Edwards, b. abt. 1845, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1926, Wilkes Co., NC; m. (1) Daniel(?) HOLLOWAY, abt. 1863 (b. 1840; d. in the Civil War); m. (2) Daniel VANNOY, May 17, 1868, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1840; d. 1923). Children: Emily Holloway (c.1864), Eulia Alice Vannoy (1869), Sarah Jane Vannoy (1870), Edie Frances Vannoy (1872), Carrie J. Vannoy (c.1875), William R. Vannoy (c.1877), Susan Elizabeth "Betty" Vannoy (c.1879), Nancy Vannoy (1881), Mary Vannoy (1884), Margaret O. "Maggie" Vannoy (1887).
ichard "Dickie" Edwards, a son of Young Edwards, Sr., lived in Cherry Lane Township, in the southeastern part of Alleghany County on Glade Creek and Brush Creek (also known as Brushy Fork) of the Little River. There were several different men named Richard Edwards in Alleghany County during the 19th century, and it is easy to confuse them. Richard "Dickie" Edwards (1798-1890) was almost the same age as his second cousin, Richard Clifford Edwards, Sr. (1794-1875), who was a son of David Edwards, Jr. & Elizabeth Andrews. Richard Clifford Edwards, Sr., and his son Richard Clifford Edwards, Jr. (1830-1874), lived a few miles north of Richard "Dickie" Edwards in Glade Creek Township near the Virginia line. Their land was located on the Little River, Crab Creek and Moccasin Creek. Richard "Dickie" Edwards had land on Glade Creek but he lived in Cherry Lane Township.
See also Alleghany County Heritage (Alleghany Co. Hist-Gen. Society, 1983), p.181. Note the Heritage book article states that Richard "Dickie" was the son of Young Edwards, Jr., not Young Edwards, Sr. , but I think this is an error; Richard was a son of Young Sr., as proven by a deed between Young Sr.'s heirs dated Oct. 17, 1843, Alleghany DB 1:380 (see below).
1820 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.30: RICHARD EDWARDS
|1 w/m under 10||1 w/f 16-25|
|1 w/m 26-45|
Young Edwards, Selena Edwards, and William Edwards are also listed on page 30 of the 1820 census. There is another Richard Edwards listed on page 6 of the 1820 census, along with David Edwards, Berry Edwards, and William Edwards. This was probably Richard Clifford Edwards.
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.31: RICHARD EDWARDS, JR.*
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 10-15||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 30-39|
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.10: RICHARD EDWARDS, JR.*
|2 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|2 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 40-49|
|2 w/m 10-14|
|1 w/m 20-29|
|1 w/m 40-49|
*Note: Use of the suffix "Jr." does not necessarily mean that his father was also named Richard. In the 19th century, "Jr." and "Sr." were used as a kind of shorthand to distinguish any men with the same name. These designations were not considered a formal part of a person's name; in fact, when the Senior individual died, the Junior would often become known as Senior. In this case, Richard "Dickie" EDWARDS was called "Jr." because he was slightly younger than his 2nd cousin, Richard Clifford EDWARDS "Sr." They were not father and son.
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.244 (HH#94):
RICHD EDWARDS, age 53, farmer, $500, NC
- -- Ede, 50, NC
-- Meshac, 20, NC
-- Allen, 16, NC
-- Calvin, 14, NC
-- Creed, 11, NC
-- Emily, 9, NC
-- Elizabeth, 3, NC
1860 Census: not listed
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cherry Lane Twp.
RICHARD EDWARDS, 72, NC
- -- Edith, 72, VA
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cherry Lane Twp.
RICHARD EDWARDS, 81, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Eade, 80, wife, VA VA NC
HOLLOWAY, Emily, 16, granddaughter, NC NC NC
Nov. 8, 1842. State of NC to Richard EDWARDS, 100 acres in Ashe County on Brush Creek of Little River on the Falls Branch. Entered June 9, 1838. (Ashe Land Grant No. 2927; Alleghany DB 1:122.)
Oct. 17, 1843. Heirs of Young EDWARDS, Sr., dec'd, to Starlin TOLIVER, 100 acres on top of the Little Mountain adj. Jesse TOLIVER. Signed: Young (X) EDWARDS, Allen (X) EDWARDS, Richard (X) EDWARDS, & David (X) BURTON (attorney-in-fact for Richard BURTON, heirs of Samuel SCAT [SCOTT?], heirs of Edward EDWARDS & John EDWARDS dec'd.) Wits: Thomas C. DOUGLAS, Richard CHOATE. Proved Sept. 28, 1869, by T.C. DOUGLAS. (Alleghany DB 1:380.)
Dec. 15, 1846. State of NC to Richard EDWARDS, 100 acres in Ashe County on Brushy Fork of Little River adj. his corner & BRYAN. Entered Apr. 9. 1844. (Ashe Land Grant No. 4283; Alleghany DB 1:123.)
Jan. 15, 1859. Richard EDWARDS to Willis ANDERS, 2 tracts of land containing 200 acres, for $140. 1st tract: on Brush Creek of Little River. 2nd tract: adj. his corner & BRYAN. Signed: Richard (X) EDWARDS. Wits: John S. TAFFER, T.C. DOUGLAS. (Alleghany DB 1:65.)
Oct. 24, 1859. John E. EDWARDS to Richard EDWARDS, 100 acres on Brushy Fork of Little River, for $50. Signed: John E. EDWARDS. Wit: John HIGGINS, Creed EDWARDS. (Alleghany DB 1:26.)
Dec. 21, 1859. Richard EDWARDS to Willis ANDERS, a tract of land on Brushy Fork of Little River [no acreage stated], for $80. Signed: Richard (X) EDWARDS. Wits: N.A. REYNOLDS, Henry CROUSE. (Alleghany DB 1:66.)
July 5, 1869. Richard EDWARDS & wife Edy to Creed EDWARDS, 100 acres on Glade Creek adj. old Young EDWARDS line & Jacob CROUSE, for $100. Signed: Richard (X) EDWARDS, Edy EDWARDS. Wits: H.A. DUNCAN, R. KENNEDY. Proved July 25, 1869 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 1:369.)
May 3, 1873. G.W. DUNCAN & wife R.A. to Richard EDWARDS, 75 acres adj. the old survey, a bend in the creek, & with the creek to the old line, for $450. Signed: G.W. DUNCAN, R.A. DUNCAN. Wits: Daniel HOLLOWAY, Franklin DUNCAN. Proved May 21, 1873 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 2:40.)
May 1, 1879. Richard EDWARDS to Martin EVANS, 70 acres on Glade Creek & Pine Branch adj. the old line, the line of the said R. EDWARDS' land where he now lives, the little branch, & the mill pond, for $100. Signed: Richard (X) EDWARDS. Wits: J.A. WOODRUFF, T.B. THOMPSON. Proved Mar. 1, 1881, by T.B. THOMPSON. Reg. July 4, 1881. (Alleghany DB 4:478.)
Jan. 14, 1884. Richard EDWARDS to Creed EDWARDS, 8 acres beg. on Glade Creek near a branch, running down the branch to the mill pond then across the mill pond to the lower end of Steep Rock Creek then with Creed EDWARDS line to the beginning, to include mill & mill property, machinery & improvements, for $200. Signed: Richard (X) EDWARDS. Wits: Wm. H. JOINES, William TRUITT. Proved Jan. 14, 1884, by Wm. H. JOINES. Reg. Mar. 17, 1890. (Alleghany DB 8:208.)