of Alleghany County, NC
Thomas Edwards, son of Berry EDWARDS, Sr., & Ruth DAVIS, was born June 16, 1820, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 11, 1897, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (1) Nancy Fender, daughter of John FENDER & Martha TOLIVER, abt. 1840. She was born Feb. 10, 1826, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Mar. 9, 1869, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married (2) Delilah Jane Higgins, daughter of John HIGGINS & Susan EDWARDS, Nov. 25, 1869, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was born Oct. 14, 1828, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Sept. 11, 1916, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was the widow of John E. EDWARDS. Thomas and his first wife, Nancy, are buried at the Hiram Edwards Cemetery, Road 1162, Bledsoe Creek, Alleghany Co., NC. Thomas's second wife, Delilah, is buried at the Mountain View Baptist Church, Road 1463, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Thomas Edwards & Nancy Fender:
- Jane Edwards, b. Apr. 12, 1841, Ashe Co., NC; d. Feb. 18, 1897, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Adam J. MOXLEY, son of Zachariah MOXLEY & Susanna WAGONER, abt. 1860 (b. May 18, 1839; d. Sept. 11, 1929); bur. William Moxley Cemetery, near Sparta, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: John Ellis Moxley (1860) m. Mary Frances CROUSE; Berry C. Moxley (1863) m. Rose Emma FENDER; Thomas A. Moxley (c.1867), Alice Moxley (c.1879), Bealer Moxley (1882), Attsy M. Moxley (1885).
- Berry H. Edwards, b. Apr. 29, 1843, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 26, 1911, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Sarah "Sallie" WHITEHEAD, daughter of William WHITEHEAD & Nancy CROUSE, Feb. 29, 1864, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Feb. 7, 1846; d. Oct. 12, 1928); bur. Daniel Whitehead Cemetery, near Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: William Edwards (1865), Emeline Nancy Edwards (c.1867) m. Linville V. JOINES; Daniel Monroe Edwards (1870) m. Margaret Ann RICHARDSON; Florence Edwards (c.1872), George Mack Edwards (1874), Maggie C. Edwards (c.1880).
- Shubel Edwards, b. 1848, Ashe Co., NC. Listed in the 1860 census (age 12), then no further records.
- Sarah Edwards, b. Feb. 28, 1852, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 20, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Daniel C. WHITEHEAD, son of William WHITEHEAD & Nancy CROUSE, Apr. 9, 1871, Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 3, 1852; d. Sept. 3, 1945); bur. Daniel Whitehead Cemetery, near Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: George Whitehead (c.1872), Nancy E. Whitehead (1877), Bettie A. Whitehead (1880), William Whitehead (1884), Walter B. Whitehead (1887).
- +Solomon M. Edwards, b. Apr. 29, 1854, Ashe Co., NC; d. Dec. 17, 1925, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Lucinda CHEEK, daughter of Henderson CHEEK & Lucy BRYAN, Feb. 22, 1874, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Aug. 20, 1850; d. Nov. 29, 1942); bur. Landmark Union Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Cynthia Elizabeth "Betty" Edwards, b. Nov. 11, 1861, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Dec. 26, 1941, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Lee Martin ANDREWS, son of Leander ANDREWS & Phariba CAUDILL, Sept. 25, 1879, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Apr. 4, 1858; d. Sept. 3, 1929); bur. Landmark Union Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: George Andrews (1884), Nancy C. Andrews (1889), Myrtie J. Andrews (1893), Kennie Reed Andrews (1897), Glenn Robert Andrews (1902), Odell Andrews (c.1906).
- Thomas Allen Edwards, b. Nov. 4, 1865, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Aug. 26, 1951, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Sarah Jane CAUDILL, daughter of David Columbus CAUDILL & Wady JOINES, Feb. 27, 1885, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Feb. 15, 1862; d. Oct. 24, 1940); bur. Union Primitive Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Minnie Edwards (1886), Nancy "Nannie" Edwards (1888) m. William Franklin JOINES, Zora Mae Edwards (1891), Alvin Carey Edwards (1893), Wady Eula Edwards (1896), Rosa Ina Edwards (1900), David C. Edwards (1902), Robert Edwards (1905).
Children of Thomas Edwards & Delilah Jane Higgins:
- Susan Catherine Edwards, b. Aug. 21, 1870, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Aug. 26, 1903, Alleghany Co., NC; m. John Reason JOINES, son of Ezekiel JOINES & Jane "Jennie" CROUSE, May 27, 1888, Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 6, 1868; d. Dec. 19, 1927); bur. Ezekiel Joines Cemetery, Road 1121/1122, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: William T. Joines (1889), Robert H. Joines (1890), Pearlie Joines (1891), Daniel S. Joines (1896), Gertie Joines (1899), Edwin Joines (c.1902).
- Hiram Edwards, b. May 10, 1873, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Nov. 30, 1944, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Candace Jane CAUDILL, daughter of Tyrrell Robert CAUDILL & Nancy Caroline FENDER, June 15, 1898, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 23, 1879; d. Oct. 29, 1965); bur. Union Primitive Baptist Church, Whitehead, Alleghany Co., NC. No children?
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.249:
THOS. EDWARDS, age 30, farmer, $500, b. in NC
- -- Nancy, 26, NC
- -- Jane, 9, NC
- -- Berry, 7, NC
- -- Shubel, 2, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Elk Creek P.O.
THOMAS EDWARDS, 40, farmer, $1,000, $1,000, NC
- -- Nancy, 35, NC
- -- Bary, 17, NC
- -- Shubel, 12, m, NC
- -- Sarah, 8, NC
- -- Solomon, 6, NC
- HOLLOWAY, Nancy, 18, domestic, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: T. EDWARDS, 75 acres improved land, 60 acres unimproved land, value of farm $1,000, value of farm implements $100, 4 horses, 0 asses/mules, 4 milch cows, 0 working oxen, 5 other cattle, 25 sheep, 40 swine, value of livestock $570. (Source: New River Notes)
Nov. 25, 1869. Thomas EDWARDS, son of Berry & Rachel [sic] EDWARDS, m. Delilah Jane HIGGINS, daughter of John HIGGINS & Susan EDWARDS. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages(Heritage Books, 1996.)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.
THOMAS EDWARDS, 51, farmer, NC
- -- Delilah, 49, NC
- -- Solomon, 16, NC
- -- Selina [Sinda?], 18, NC <<probably Solomon's wife Lucinda Cheek
- -- Felix, 14, NC
- -- Rosey, 12, NC
- -- Emaline, 8, NC
- -- Cynthia, 8, NC
- -- Mary, 6, NC
- -- Thomas, 4, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.
THOMAS EDWARDS, 59, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Delila, 57, wife, NC NC NC
- -- Emaline, 18, dau, " " "
- -- Ellen, 17, dau, " " "
- -- Thomas A., 14, son, " " "
- -- Sousey, 9, dau, " " "
- -- John, 9, grandson, " " " <<son of Delilah's daughter Celia Jane Edwards
- -- Hiram, 7, son, " " "
1897. Thomas Edwards' estate was probated in Alleghany Co., NC, in 1897. (NC Archives Box No. CR.004.508.10.)
1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp. (Hiram Edwards, HH#134):
Delila EDWARDS, mother, Oct. 1828, age 71, widowed, 9 children born, 8 living, NC NC NC
- 1910 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp., p.47 (HH#129):
CELIA JANE ANDREWS, 59, wd, 4 children/3 living, NC NC NC, farmer - general farm
- -- Delina EDWARDS, mother, 83, wd, 9 children/7 living, NC NC NC
Jan. 6, 1845. State of NC to Thomas EDWARDS, 8 acres in Ashe County beg. in the gap of Peach Bottom Mountain near the head of the middle fork of Fiting [Fighting] Creek, adj. Berry EDWARDS. Entered Sept. 27, 1842. (Ashe Land Grant No. 4090; Alleghany DB 1:357.)
July 22, 1861. Thomas EDWARDS to B. EDWARDS, 8 acres on top of Peach Bottom Mountain & middle fork of Fitin [Fighting] Creek, adj. Charles TOLIVER, for $1. Signed: Thomas EDWARDS. [No wits.] Proved July 22, 1869 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 1:356.)
Sept. 25, 1863. B. EDWARDS, Sr., to Thos. EDWARDS, 5 acres on Elk Creek adj. Thos. EDWARDS' line in the wagon road, Starlin EDWARDS, & my own line, for $10. Signed: B. EDWARDS (ack'd). [No wits.] (Alleghany DB 1:154.)
Oct. 20, 1890. Allen IRWIN & Thos. EDWARDS make oath that they held a bond from Isom WAGONER & Thos. FENDER granting a water way through WAGONER & FENDER's meadow to the line of Meredith RICHARDSON towards the mill sold to them by Levi JOINES, said waterway to run where the road is now located. The bond is lost or misplaced and cannot be found, therefore we ask that the provision of said bond be complied with. Signed: Allen IRWIN, Thos. EDWARDS. Wit: H.D. ESTEP. Reg. Feb. 11, 1934. (Alleghany DB 42:558.)
May 24, 1895. Thomas EDWARDS & wife Delila to Hiram EDWARDS, Jr., 5 tracts of land on Bledsoes Creek [no acreage stated], for love & affection, and in consideration that he cares for them in their old age & allows them a house on the land hereinafter conveyed, and further that he pays $25 to Solomon EDWARDS, $100 to Jane MOXLEY, $100 to Sally WHITEHEAD's heirs, $100 to Cyntha E. ANDERS, and $100 to Susan C. JOINES, all these sums to become due & payable without interest at the death of the longest lived of said Thomas EDWARDS or Delila EDWARDS. 1st tract: adj. John E. MOXLEY, Starling EDWARDS, the ford in the branch below Starling EDWARDS' house, & Berry ESTEP. 2nd tract: adj. John E. MOXLEY, BURTON, & a tract of land formerly surveyed by John TOLIVER. 3rd tract: adj. old BURTON corner now John E. MOXLEY, a branch, & north side of Peach Bottom Mountain. 4th tract: adj. the old road in the side of the 1st tract, west side of the Mountain, Starling EDWARDS, Berry ESTEP, & BURTON. 5th tract: adj. the 1st tract. The longest lived of the said Thomas EDWARDS & Delila EDWARDS reserve a life estate, but Hiram EDWARDS is to have a house on the place. Signed: Thomas EDWARDS, Delila EDWARDS. Proved July 6, 1895. Reg. Jan. 27, 1896. (Alleghany DB 10:360.)