of Grayson County, VA
Johnson Jennings, son of William JENNINGS, Jr., & Cynthia CAUDILL, was born Oct. 6, 1848, in Wilkes Co., NC, and July 23, 1923, in Avery Co., NC. He married (1) Sarah Jane Cheek, daughter of Richard M. CHEEK & Frances CROUSE, Sept. 25, 1870, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was born Feb. 15, 1849, in Ashe Co., NC, and died July 1888 in Alleghany Co., NC. They divorced before 1876. He married (2) Sarah Fowlkes, daughter of William A. FOWLKES & Mary Ann LANE, Dec. 25, 1876, in Alleghany Co., NC. She was born Dec. 21, 1854, in Ashe Co., NC, and died July 20, 1921, in Avery Co., NC.
Children of Johnson Jennings & Sarah Jane Cheek:
- Franklin P. Jennings, b. abt. 1872, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Lucy Edith "Edie" Jennings, b. Dec. 1873, Alleghany Co., NC, d. ?; m. Wiley A. TAYLOR, son of John C. & Elizabeth TAYLOR, Aug. 4, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 1869; d. ?).
Children of Johnson Jennings & Sarah Fowlkes:
- William A. Jennings, b. Aug. 1879, Grayson Co., VA.
- Sarah E. Jennings, b. Apr. 1881, NC.
- John M. Jennings, b. Jan. 1883, NC; d. aft. 1930, probably in Missouri; m. Cora I. __, abt. 1906 (b. Jan. 4, 1890; d. Oct. 1975, Callaway Co., MO). Living in Callaway Co., MO, in 1930.
- Mattie S. Jennings, b. Dec. 1884, NC; d. unk.; m. Rod BURR, abt. 1907 (b. abt. 1881; d. unk.)
- Lora V. Jennings, b. June 1889, NC.
- Annie P. Jennings, b. June 1892, NC.
- Carrie L. Jennings, b. Dec. 1895, NC.
ohnson Jennings of Grayson Co., VA, son of William JENNINGS, Jr., & Cynthia CAUDILL, was married twice. (See G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).) On Apr. 27, 1870, at the age of 21, he married Sarah Jane CHEEK, age 24, daughter of Richard M. & Frances "Franky" CHEEK. This marriage presumably ended in divorce because Sarah married Creed EVANS in 1878. On Dec. 25, 1876, Johnson Jennings married Sarah FOWLKES, age 22, daughter of William A. FOWLKES, Jr., & Mary Ann LANE. They moved to Mitchell County, NC, sometime prior to 1900. John Jennings died in Avery Co., NC, on July 23, 1923. His death certificate identifies his parents as William JENNINGS & Cynthia CAUDILL.
- 1880 Census, Grayson Co., VA, Dist. #36, Elk Creek
JOHNSON JENNINGS, 31, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Sarah, 25, wife, NC NC VA
- -- Mary, 2, VA NC NC
- -- Wm. A., 9 mos., b. Aug. 1879, VA NC NC
- 1900 Census, Mitchell Co., NC, Cranberry Twp., p.34
JOHNSON JENNINGS, b. Oct. 1848, age 51, m. 24 yrs, NC NC NC, day laborer
- -- Sarah A., wife, Dec. 1854, age 45, m. 24 yrs, 9 children/8 living, NC VA VA
- -- William A., son, Aug. 1879, age 20, VA NC NC, in the army
- -- Sarah E., dau, Apr. 1881, age 19, NC NC NC, cook
- -- John M., son, Jan 1883, age 17, " " ", teamster
- -- Mattie S., dau, Dec. 1884, age 15, " " "
- -- Lora V., dau, June 1889, age 10, " " "
- -- Annie P., dau, June 1892, age 7, " " "
- -- Carrie L., dau, Dec. 1895, age 4, " " "
- 1910 Census, Mitchell Co., NC, Cranberry Twp., p.122
ROD BURR, 29, m. 3 yrs, NC NC NC, laborer
- -- Mattie, wife, 24, m. 3 yrs, 1 child/1 living, NC NC NC
- -- Bonnie, dau, 2, NC NC NC
- JENNINGS, Johnson, father-in-law, 60, NC NC NC, laborer
- 1920 Census, Avery Co., NC, Cranberry Twp. (16 West
State St., Elk Park) (HH#24):
JOHNSON JENNINGS, age 72, NC NC NC, no occupation
- -- Sarah A., wife, age 65, NC NC NC
Death Certificate: JOHNSON JENNINGS, age 76, b. 6 Oct. 1848, VA; d. 23 July 1925, Elk Park, Cranberry Twp., Avery Co., NC; spouse: Sarah FOWLKES; father: William JENNINGS; mother: Cynthia CAUDLE; burial: Elk Park, NC. (Ancestry.com)
Death Certificate: SARAH ANN JENNINGS, age 66, b. 21 Dec 1854, NC; d. 20 July 1921, Elk Park, Cranberry Twp., Avery Co., NC; spouse: Johnson JENNINGS; father: W.A. FOWLKS; mother: Mary LANE; burial: Elk Park. (Ancestry.com)