Frederick L. Wolfe
& Elizabeth Crouse
Frederick Lawrence "F.L." Wolfe (Wolf) was born Sept. 25, 1815, in North Carolina, and died Feb. 16, 1881, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Elizabeth Crouse, daughter of Jacob A. CROUSE & Nancy FENDER, abt. 1837. She was born Apr. 20, 1817, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Jan. 29, 1881, in Alleghany Co., NC. Frederick & Elizabeth Wolfe or Wolf are buried at the Wolf Cemetery, Hwy 18 north near Jewel Branch in Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Frederick L. Wolfe & Elizabeth Crouse:
- Eli Wolfe, b. Feb. 5, 1838, Ashe Co., NC; d. Dec. 15, 1919, Wilkes Co., NC, m. Martha HAMBY (b. abt. 1840; d. 1920-1930.) Children: Sarah Elizabeth Wolfe (1856), Martin Wolfe (c.1859), Lemuel Wolfe (c.1860), Mary Wolfe (c.1864), Martha Senia Wolfe (c.1869), Samuel J. Wolfe (c.1877), Franklin Floyd Wolfe (c.1884).
- Nancy Wolfe, b. Oct. 6, 1839, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1910-1920, Wilkes Co., NC; m. (1) Martin CROUSE, son of Henry CROUSE & Mahala unknown, Dec. 1854 (date from family Bible) (b. abt. 1836; d. ?); m. (2) Ezekiel ABSHER, abt. 1878 (b. abt. 1829; d. 1900-1910). Children: Mary Elizabeth Crouse (1856), Senia C. Crouse (1859), John Crouse (b. and d. 1861), Frances Absher (c.1879).
- +Mary "Polly" Wolfe, b. Sept. 24, 1841, Ashe Co., NC; d. Dec. 20, 1910, Grayson Co., VA; m. (1) James BLEVINS, son of John J. BLEVINS & Pinkey CHEEK, Sept. 6, 1862 (b. abt. 1841; d. Sept. 30, 1864); m. (2) Frederick BOLT, son of Tyre BOLT & Ally NESTER, abt. 1867 (b. June 1845; d. aft. 1910); bur. Bolt Cemetery, near Troutdale, Grayson Co., VA.
- Isom Wolfe, b. Dec. 3, 1843, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug. 27, 1862, in Gordonsville, VA, of typhoid fever (Civil War).
- Senia Wolfe, b. Nov. 16, 1845, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 10, 1893, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Gilbert EDWARDS, son of John E. EDWARDS & Delilah Jane HIGGINS, Apr. 13, 1867, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Aug. 28, 1850; d. Apr. 21, 1920); bur. John Higgins Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Susan Edwards (c.1868), John H. Edwards (1870), Elizabeth J. "Bettie" Edwards (c.1873), Emory Thomas Edwards (1873), Gilbert M. Edwards (1881), Felix M. Edwards (1888), Isaac Glen Edwards (1889).
- William Wolfe, b. Mar. 14, 1847, Ashe Co., NC; d. Nov. 2, 1924, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Sarah Caroline SPURLIN, daughter of William & Kissiah SPURLIN, Feb. 23, 1869, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Mar. 3, 1853; d. Feb. 3, 1933); bur. William Wolfe Cemetery, Rd. 1405, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: William Monroe Wolfe (c.1869), Nancy Aalice Wolfe (c.1873), Felix Cicero Wolfe (1875, d. 1876), Coy McCleveland Wolfe (1884).
- Calvin Wolfe, b. Oct. 8, 1850, Ashe Co., NC; d. bef. 1897 in Arkansas; m. Mary Jane SPURLIN, daughter of William & Kissiah SPURLIN, Sept. 8, 1870, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Nelia Wolfe (1871) m. Haywood EDWARDS; William Eli Wolfe (c.1873); Sarah J. Wolfe (1874); Cynthia Luella Wolfe (1876) m. A.J. WOODRUFF; Rosa A. Wolfe (c.1878); Laura Ennice Wolfe (1880).
- Lemuel Wolfe, b. Feb. 7, 1858, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 26, 1881, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Martha Jane BROOKS, daughter of William Alfred BROOKS & Sarah Mahala EDWARDS, Mar. 9, 1873, Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 1852; d. aft. 1930); bur. Wolf Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Martha married (2nd) Gilbert EDWARDS, son of John E. EDWARDS & Delilah Jane HIGGINS. Children: Mary A. Wolfe (c.1874), Nancy Wolfe (c.1877), Lillis "Lillie" Wolfe (1880).
- Elizabeth Wolfe, b. abt. 1859, Ashe (Alleghany) Co., NC; m. S.M. HUDSON. Children: Bettie Hudson.
- Susan Emily Wolfe, b. Dec. 11, 1868, Alleghany Co., NC; d. June 7, 1935, Hiwasse, AR; m. (1) John Lafette WAGES; (2) James W.L. REEVES, Aug. 20, 1901; bur. Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Hiwasse, AR. Children: Kelly Wages (1898), Goldie Faye Reeves (1904). (This info kindly provided by grandson Walt Williams).
rederick L. Wolfe of Ashe (Alleghany) County, NC, may be related to the Wolfe family of Surry County, NC. The earliest settlers with this surname, also spelled Wolff or Woolf, included Daniel Wolf and Adam Wolf who arrived in Surry County by the 1780's. They were probably of German descent. There is a Frederick Wolf, born about 1779, listed on the census of Surry County from 1810 to 1850. Unfortunately, the exact relationship between the Wolfe family in Surry County and Frederick L. Wolfe (b. 1815) of Ashe (Alleghany) County is unknown. Military records indicate that F.L. Wolfe was born in Grayson County, Virginia, but census records consistently give his birthplace as North Carolina. The birthdates for his children given above come from a family Bible record (see The Johann Christian Friederich (Finter) Fender Family by Len Chapel and Carolyn W. Spence) and gravestone inscriptions.
Frederick L. Wolfe died Feb. 16, 1881, and his estate was probated in Alleghany County, NC (click here for more info).
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.10: FREDRICK L. WOOLF
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 20-29|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.254 (HH#245):
FREDERIC WOLF, 35, farmer, $500, NC
- -- Elizabeth, 33, NC
-- Eli, 12, NC
-- Nancy, 10, NC
-- Polly, 9, NC
-- Isom, 7, NC
-- Cenia, 5, NC
-- Wm, 3, NC
KING, Gineal, 16, m, laborer, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, p.420 (HH#598):
F.L. WOLF, 45, farmer, $2100, $400, NC
- -- Elizabeth, 43, NC
-- Polly, 17, NC
-- Isom, 14, NC
-- Senia, 12, NC
-- William, 18 [13?], NC
-- Calvin, 8, NC
-- Lemuel, 6, NC
-- Elizabeth, 1, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: F.L. WOLFE, 100 acres improved land, 700 acres unimproved land, value of farm $2,100, value of farm implements $20, 0 horses, 0 asses/mules, 2 milch cows, 2 working oxen, 5 other cattle, 25 sheep, 9 swine, value of livestock $145. (Source: New River Notes)
Civil War: F.L. WOLF, enlisted July 13, 1864, in Co. B, 5th NC Senior Reserves, at Flint Hill, Ashe Co., NC. AWOL on Feb. 28, 1865. Age at enlistment was 48 years, 10 months. Height 5'7", light comp. and hair, blue eyes, farmer, born in Grayson Co., VA.
1870 census: not listed.
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
FREDRIC L. WOLF, 64, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Elizabeth, wife, 63, NC NC NC
- -- Susan E., dau, 16, " " "
Sept. 19, 1836. Thomas WATSON of Burke Co., NC, to Fredrick L. WOLFE of Ashe Co., NC, 100 acres on Little River adj. Richard CHOAT & others [not identified], for $50. Being a tract of land granted to William EDWARDS & known as said EDWARDS first old place; beg. on the south side of Little River, along the old marked line, crossing said river, crossing Jule [Jewel] Swamp Creek. Signed: Thos. W. WILSON [WATSON?] Wit: John L. WOLFE. Proved Dec. 7, 1885, by William WOLFE who states that Thos. W. WILSON the grantor & S. WATTS one of the subscribing witnesses are dead, & J.L. WOLFE has left the county, & he is unable to prove the handwriting of the parties. Filed for reg. Dec. 23, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:258.)
Jan. 23, 1843. State of NC to Fredrick L. WOLFE, 20 acres in Ashe County on Little River adj. Samuel WILLEY. Entered Dec. 23, 1839. (Land Grant No. 3005.) (Alleghany DB 6:259.)
Jan. 18, 1851. Richard CHOAT to Frederic L. WOLFE, 32 acres on north side of Little River adj. WOLF's old line & the old MILLER line, for $27.50. Signed: Richard CHOAT. Wits: Alexander RICHARDSON, Martin (X) CROUSE. Proved Dec. 26, 1885, by Alex RICHARDSON. (Alleghany DB 7:175.)
Dec. 15, 1854. Caleb OSBORN to F.L. WOLF, 2 tracts of land on New River, for $300. 1st tract: 200 acres adj. John GAMBILL's Eli COX tract, Reeves COX, line of John GAMBILL's 100 acre tract, & Calf Pen Ridge. 2nd tract: 50 acres adj. Reeves COX, John GAMBILL, John CROUSE, Thomas COX, top of Peach Bottom Mountain, Levy? MILLER, & said WOLF. Signed: Caleb OSBORN. Wits: Jess AUSTIN, Eli WOLF. Proved Mar. 27, 1905, by F.M. OSBORN from his father Caleb OSBORN's handwriting, as Caleb OSBORN is dead & Jesse AUSTIN & Eli WOLF are not residents of the county. Reg. June 7, 1905. (Alleghany DB 19:299.)
Feb. 28, 1880. F.L. WOOLF [WOLFE] & wife Elizabeth to William EDWARDS, a tract of land on Little River [no acreage stated] adj. W.E. HUDSON & others [not identified], for $100. Signed: F.L. (X) WOLFE, Elizabeth (X) WOLFE. Wits: T.C. DOUGLAS, Martin WILLEY. Proved Feb. 28, 1880 (ack'd); T.C. DOUGLAS, J.P. Reg. Mar. 15, 1881. (Alleghany DB 2:551.)
Dec. 27, 1886. H.M. CROUSE, Comm'r, to William WOLFE, for $485.50, the F.L. WOLFE lands, 100 acres on Little River adj. old MILLER line, Wm. EDWARDS, & crossing Jule [Jewel] Swamp Creek. Sold pursuant to a court decree entered on petition of William WOLFE & Eli WOLFE against Ezekial ABSHIRE & others heirs of F.L. WOLFE. Land was sold at auction to H.M. BROOKS who assigned his bid to William WOLFE. Signed: H.M. CROUSE, Comm'r. [No wits.] Proved Jan. 7, 1887. Reg. Jan. 31, 1895. (Alleghany DB 10:232.)