John M. Woodruff
& Candace Crouse
John M. Woodruff son of John Allen WOODRUFF & Jane MCBRIDE, was born abt. 1792 in Wilkes (Ashe) Co., NC, and died bef. 1857 in Ashe (Alleghany) Co., NC. He married Candace Crouse, daughter of Jacob CROUSE & Sarah EDWARDS, abt. 1822. She was born abt. 1798 in Wilkes (Ashe) Co., NC, and died aft. 1880 in Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of John M. Woodruff & Candace Crouse:
- +Moses O. Woodruff, b. Oct. 17, 1823, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 30, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Mary Little KENNEDY, daughter of William B. KENNEDY & Rachel THOMPSON, Oct. 15, 1850, Wilkes Co., NC (b. Feb. 21, 1823; d. Feb. 13, 1898); bur. Woodruff Primitive Baptist Church in Glade Valley, Alleghany Co., NC.
- John W. Woodruff, b. abt. 1830, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1880, Wilkes Co., NC; m. Sarah GENTRY, daughter of Jonathan GENTRY & Jemima SPICER, Mar. 26, 1855, Wilkes Co., NC (b. 1834; d. Jan. 12, 1928). Children: Joseph G. Woodruff (c.1855), Jonathan Newton Woodruff (1857), John Bynum Woodruff (c.1860), Minna J. Woodruff (c.1864), Caroline C. Woodruff (1866).
- Young Woodruff, b. abt. 1833, Ashe Co., NC; d. ?
- Henry J. Woodruff, b. abt. 1836, Ashe Co., NC; d. ?
- Elizabeth Woodruff, b. abt. 1838, Ashe Co., NC; d. ?
- Andrew Jackson Woodruff, b. abt. 1840, Ashe Co., NC; d. ?
1820 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.18: JOHN WOODRUFF
|1 w/m under 10||1 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 16-25||1 w/f 16-25|
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.29: JOHN WOODROUGH
|1 w/m 5-9||2 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 10-14||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 30-39|
Nov. 1, 1830. William WOODRUFF to John WOODRUFF, 16 acres on Little River & Brush Creek adj. John WOODRUFF, for $5. Signed: William WOODRUFF. Wit: A. WOODRUFF, Richard CHOAT. Proved Aug. 6, 1883, by A.J. WOODRUFF & Moses WOODRUFF from handwriting of William WOODRUFF. (Alleghany DB 5:289; also DB 11:71.)
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.8: JOHN WOODROFF
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|2 w/m 5-9||2 w/f 10-15|
|1 w/m 15-19||1 w/f 40-49|
|1 w/m 20-29|
|1 w/m 40-49|
Nov. 11, 1844. John WOODRUFF, Exec'r of John Allen WOODRUFF, dec'd, of Ashe Co., NC, to Lewis HARRIS of Surry Co., NC, a tract of land on Laurel Fork [no acreage stated], for $200; pursuant to a bond given by John Allen WOODRUFF. Signed: John WOODRUFF. Wits: Thomas SMITH, Absalom SMITH. Proved Aug. 19, 1869, by A.M. SMITH. (Alleghany DB 1:285.)
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.245 (HH#118):
JOHN WOODRUFF, 58, farmer, 1200, NC
- -- Candas, 52, NC
- -- Moses, 27, blacksmith, NC
- -- John, 20, laborer, NC
- -- Young, 17, laborer, NC
- -- Henry J., 14, NC
- -- Elizabeth, 12, NC
- -- Andrew, 10, NC
John M. Woodruff died before 1857, based on the following deed:
Aug. 1, 1857. Moses WOODRUFF & Benjamin F. JOHNSON, Adm'rs of John WOODRUFF, dec'd, to Willis C. ANDERS & Offa ANDERS, 100 acres adj. COX & the River, for $100. Conveyed according to a bond given by John WOODRUFF in his lifetime to Willis ANDERS. Signed: Moses WOODRUFF, B.F. JOHNSON. Wits: N.A. REYNOLDS, Lamde JOHNSON. (Alleghany DB 1:67.)
Further records for this family:
1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, p.427 (HH#658) (next
door to her son Moses Woodruff):
CANDIS WOODRUFF, 65, farmer, $--, $250, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: CANDIS WOODROUGH, 0 acres, value of farm implements $5, 4 milch cows, 4 other cattle, 10 sheep, 14 swine, value of livestock $105. (Source: New River Notes)
Mar. 18, 1863. John W. WOODRUFF of Wilkes Co., NC, to Moses WOODRUFF of Alleghany Co., NC, all right title & interest in lands & estate of John M. WOODRUFF, dec'd, for $1,041. Signed: J.W. WOODRUFF. Wits: Wm. WOODRUFF, M.V.B. NORMAN. (Alleghany DB 1:134.)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cherry Lane Twp.
CANDACE WOODRUFF, age 75, NC
- -- Bartlett, 19, domestic servant
1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cherry Lane Twp
CANDIS WOODRUFF, 83, widowed, keeping house, NC NC NC
See also Alleghany County Heritage by the Alleghany Co. Hist-Gen. Soc. (1983), p.521.