Caroline Cheek &
(1) Daniel Higgins
(2) Jacob Toliver
Caroline Cheek, daughter of Richard M. CHEEK & Frances "Frankie" CROUSE was born Nov. 7, 1848 [death cert.] or June 6, 1849 [gravestone], in Ashe Co., NC, and died Dec. 3, 1927 [death cert.] or Dec. 24, 1927 [gravestone], in Alleghany Co., NC. She married (1) Daniel Higgins, son of John HIGGINS & Susan EDWARDS. He was born Mar. 18, 1851, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Aug. 12, 1877, in Alleghany Co., NC. She married (2) Jacob Toliver, son of Starling TOLIVER & Millie Ann SPURLIN, Apr. 4, 1882, Alleghany Co., NC. He was born Feb. 17, 1831, in Ashe Co., NC, and died July 22, 1887, in Alleghany Co., NC. Caroline Toliver and her first husband, Daniel Higgins, are buried at the John Higgins Cemetery, Road 1453, Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC. The location of Jacob Toliver's grave is unknown.
Children of Caroline Cheek & Daniel Higgins:
- Isaac Monroe Higgins, b. Apr. 18, 1871, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 4, 1948, Harford Co., MD; m. Margaret Etta "Ettie" BLEVINS, daughter of John Wiley BLEVINS & Nancy "Nannie" EVANS, Dec. 6, 1896, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Oct. 23, 1874; d. Dec. 27, 1949); bur. Oak Grove Baptist Church, Bel Air, Harford Co., MD. Children: Omar A. Higgins (1898), Annis Higgins (1901), Nora E. Higgins (1903), Wiley G. Higgins (1908), Clara M. Higgins (1914).
- Della S. Higgins, b. June 14, 1873, Alleghany Co., NC; d. May 2, 1965, Dade Co., MO; m. Dr. Abner HIGGINS, son of Thomas HIGGINS & Sarah "Sally" CHEEK, Dec. 27, 1893, Alleghany Co., NC; bur. Hickory Grove Cemetery, Dade Co., MO. Children: Amy Caroline Higgins (1894), Clinton Kelly Higgins (1898), Attie Higgins (1900), Bertha Higgins (c.1903), Thomas William Higgins (1904), Joseph Earl "Jack" Higgins (1907), James Higgins (c.1911), Louisa Higgins (c.1917).
- Mack Daniel Higgins, b. Aug. 28, 1877, Alleghany Co., NC; d. Nov. 9, 1908, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Laura TODD, daughter of Green Berry TODD & Nancy Adeline EDWARDS, Aug. 1, 1897, Alleghany Co., NC; bur. Glade Creek Church, Rd. 1433, Hooker, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Zollie Higgins (1898), Margie Higgins (1900), Boyd Monroe Higgins (1905), Andrew Higgins (1909).
Child of Caroline Cheek & Jacob Toliver:
- John Clayton Toliver, b. Aug. 23, 1884, Alleghany Co., NC; d. July 6, 1952, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Ardelia "Della" EDWARDS, daughter of John EDWARDS & Millie MCGRADY (b. Mar. 25, 1884; d. Aug. 16, 1962); bur. Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Rd. 1412, Alleghany Co., NC.
aroline Cheek probably married her first husband, Daniel HIGGINS, around 1871 based on ages of children. However, their marriage is not listed in Alleghany County records. Daniel Higgins died in 1877 at the age of only 26. Caroline's second husband was Jacob TOLIVER, whom she married in Alleghany County on April 4, 1882. He was 51 and she was 29. Jacob Toliver and his first wife, Matilda HIGGINS, were apparently divorced between 1880-1882. Caroline and Jacob Toliver had one son. Caroline died in 1927 and is buried with her first husband at the John Higgins Family Cemetery in Alleghany County, NC.
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
CAROLINE HIGGINS, 29, widow, keeping house, b. in NC, father b. in NC, mother b. in NC
- -- [illegible], 8, son, NC NC NC
- -- Susan F., 6, daughter, NC NC NC
- -- McDaniel, 2, son, NC NC NC
Apr. 4, 1882. Jacob TOLIVER, age 51, son of Starlin TOLIVER & Milly SPURLIN, m. Caroline CHEEK HIGGINS, age 29, daughter of Richard M. & Frances (Franky) CHEEK. (G.H. Latham, Alleghany County Marriages (Heritage Books, 1996).)
1887. Jacob Toliver's estate was probated in Alleghany County in 1887. (NC Archives Box No. CR.004.508.27.)
- 1900 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
CAROLINE TOLIVER, b. June 1849, 50, widowed, 4 children/4 living, NC NC NC
- HIGGINS, Dellie S., dau, b. June 1872, age 27, m. 6 yrs, 3 children/3 living, NC NC NC
- TOLIVER, Clayton, son, b. Aug. 1884, age 15, NC NC NC
- HIGGINS, Anne C., granddaughter, b. Dec. 1894, age 5, NC NC NC
- -- Clenton [Clayton?], grandson, b. Mar. 1897, age 3, NC NC NC
- -- Attie, granddaughter, Sept. 1899, age 8 mos., NC NC NC
1910 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp., p.5 (John C. TOLIVER, HH#94): Caroline TOLIVER, mother, 59, NC NC NC
1920 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp., p.5 (John C. TOLIVER, HH#85): Caroline TOLIVER, mother, 72, NC NC NC
Death Certificate: CAROLINE TOLIVER, age 79, b. 7 Nov 1848, Alleghany Co., NC; d. 3 Dec 1927, Glade Creek Twp., Alleghany Co., NC; spouse: Jacob TOLIVER; father: Richard CHEEK; mother: Frankie CROUSE; burial: family graveyard. (Ancestry.com) [Note discrepancy with dates on gravestone.]