John Andrews (c.1809)
of Alleghany County, NC
John Andrews (Anders), son of Rev. Mark ANDREWS & Elizabeth BAILEY, was born abt. 1809 in Orange Co., NC, and died before 1870 in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Cynthia, last name unknown. She was born abt. 1809 in North Carolina, and died June 30, 1882, in Wilkes Co., NC.
Children of John Andrews (Anders) & Cynthia Unk.:
- Merritt Andrews, b. abt. 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1860-1870; m. Tamsey STAMPER, Aug. 6, 1857, Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1832; d. 1870-1880). Children: Alice Cynthia Andrews (1859), James Andrews (c.1862), Ellen Andrews (c.1864).
- Pleasant Andrews, b. July 1836, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1910, Watauga Co., NC; m. Janetta __, abt. 1863 (b. Nov. 1839-1841; d. aft. 1910). Children: Frances Andrews (c.1864), John Andrews (1880).
- Thomas Green Andrews, b. abt. 1842, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 27, 1862, at Gaines Mill, VA (Civil War).
- Martha Ann Andrews, b. Nov. 1849, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1910 in Watauga Co., NC; m. David Reed HOLLOWAY, son of John HOLLOWAY & Matha REID, Apr. 8, 1866, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Feb. 1849; d. bet. 1900-1910). Children: John Anders Holloway (c.1870), Amanda Holloway (c.1872), Frances Holloway (c.1873), Catha A. Holloway (c.1877), William H. Holloway (1885), Nannie M. Holloway (1887), Janetta Holloway (1890).
- Calvin Andrews, b. July 25, 1856, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 12, 1938, Watauga Co., NC; m. Cynthia OSBORNE, daughter of David & Nancy OSBORNE, Nov. 2, 1876, Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 1859; d. 1910-1920). Children: William Andrews (c.1878), David Andrews (c.1879), Arthur Andrews (1881), Oscar Andrews (1883), Nannie Andrews (1887), Roy Andrews (1887), Mattie Andrews (c.1901).
ohn Andrews (Anders) (c.1809), son of Rev. Mark Andrews and Elizabeth Bailey, lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains in southern Alleghany County, NC, around Pine Swamp Creek and the headwaters of the Little River. He should not be confused with John Andrews (1817) (son of William Andrews, Jr., and Abi Cheek) who lived in northern Alleghany County around Crab Creek and Moccasin Creek of the Little River, or John Andrews (1829) (son of James Carr Andrews) who lived in Grayson County, VA. John Andrews (c.1809) died prior to 1870 when his wife is found in the census living with her son Pleasant Andrews.
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co. NC, p.241 (HH #52):
JOHN ANDERS, 41, farmer, NC
- -- Cintha, 41, NC
- -- Merit, 18, NC
- -- Pleasant, 14, NC
- -- Thos G., 8, NC
- -- Martha, 1, NC
1860 Census: not listed.
- 1870 Census, Wilkes Co., NC, Edwards Twp., p.286
PLEASANT ANDREWS, 30, farmer, NC
- -- Jennetta, 29, keeping house, NC
- -- Frankey, 10, at home, NC
- -- Cynthia, 60, at home, NC
- -- Calvin, 16, farm laborer, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Cranberry Twp.
PLEASANT ANDREWS, 43, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Janetty, 39, wife, keeping house, " " "
- -- Franzy, 16, daughter, at home, " " "
- -- John, 1, son, " " "
- -- Cynthia, 69, mother, " " "
Mar. 12, 1872. Cintha ANDERS & Pleasant ANDERS & wife Janetty, to William BRACKINS, 2 tracts of land on Pine Swamp, for $400. 1st tract: 100 acres on Pine Swamp adj. ALEXANDER, D.C. CAUDILL, the old MCMILLAN line, & J. MOONY. 2nd tract: 28 acres. Signed: Cintha (X) ANDERS, Pleasant ANDERS, Janetta (X) ANDERS. Wit: John PHIPPS. Proved Mar. 14, 1872 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 2:5.)
Mar. 21, 1872. Cynthia ANDERS to Pleasant ANDERS, for $75, a tract of land which John ANDERS purchased of Jesse BLEDSOE & which she Cynth ANDERS purchased of Merritt ANDERS & heirs at law of the above named John ANDERS, dec'd, containing 100 acres. Signed: Cintha (X) ANDERS. Wit: B.E. CAUDILL, Calvin ANDERS. Proved Apr. 25, 1876, by Calvin ANDERS. Reg. Apr. 25, 1876. (Alleghany DB 3:187.)
Sept. 4?, 1875. Reed HOLLOWAY & wife Martha Ann to Calvin ANDERS, for $100, a tract of land which John ANDERS bought of Jesse BLEDSOE containing 100 acres, one-fifth of which tract Reed HOLLOWAY was entitled to as an heir of John ANDERS, dec'd. Signed: Reed (X) HOLLOWAY, Marthan HOLLOWAY. Wit: C.J. EDWARDS, P. ANDERS. Proved Sept. 6, 1876 (ack'd); Josiah CAUDILL, J.P. Reg. Dec. 16, 1875. (Alleghany DB 3:123.)