Robert Cheek (1805)
of Alamance County, NC
Robert Cheek, possibly a son of Robert "Robin" CHEEK, Jr., & Martha "Patsy" Andrews, was born Aug. 2, 1805, in Orange Co., NC, and died 1865 in Alamance Co., NC. He married Elizabeth Robinson, Dec. 15, 1831, in Orange Co., NC. She was born abt. 1809 in North Carolina and died 1886 in Alamance Co., NC.
Children of Robert Cheek & Elizabeth Robinson:
- Sarah Cheek, b. abt. 1835, Orange Co., NC.
- William N. Cheek, b. abt. 1837, Orange Co., NC. Possibly the William N. CHEEK who joined the Sugar Plain Monthly Meeting (Quakers) in Boone Co., IN, on Aug. 24, 1864; Quaker records indicate he had been a member of the Spring Monthly Meeting in Alamance Co., NC. Wife: Jane, b. June 30, 1834; children Mary Ann Cheek (b. Sept. 25, 1861); Elizabeth E. Cheek (b. June 21, 1864). (Source: Willard Heiss, Abstracts of the Records of Friends in Indiana, Part 5.) This William N. CHEEK seems to have died prior to 1880 when Jane & daughters are listed without him in the census of Sugar Creek, Boone Co., IN. He might be the William N. CHEEK whose will was recorded in Alamance Co., NC, in 1867 (Alamance WB 1, p.294.)
- Nancy Ellen Cheek, b. Nov. 9, 1839, Orange Co., NC; d. Feb. 11, 1932, Alamance Co., NC; never married.
- Robert G. Cheek, b. abt. 1844, Orange Co., NC.
- Nathaniel W. Cheek, b. abt. 1846, Orange Co., NC; d. Dec. 1, 1864, Elmira, NY (Civil War).
- John Cheek, b. abt. 1848, Orange Co., NC.
obert Cheek (1805) is often identified as a son of Robert "Robin" CHEEK, Sr., of Orange County, NC, but this is not proven. Court documents filed in 1866 concerning the Robert Cheek Sr.'s estate do not mention a son named Robert, although all the other heirs are listed. It's true that Robert (1805) died in 1865, a year before Robert Sr., but his children still should have been on the list of Robert Sr.'s heirs (unless they were omitted by mistake).
Robert Cheek (1805) died testate in Alamance County, NC, in 1865. His will dated Apr. 1, 1865, proved Dec. 1865, names his wife Elizabeth and refers to 4 children still living with her. Elizabeth to have full use of land and property for "as long as my children stay with their mother." (Alamance Co., NC, Will Book 1, p.248.)
Elizabeth CHEEK's will was recorded in Alamance Co., NC, in 1886. (Alamance Will Book 2, p.315.)
Dec. 15, 1831. Robert CHEEK & Elizabeth ROBINSON posted a marriage bond in Orange Co., NC, with bondsman Henry CHEEK.
1840 Census, Orange Co., NC, So. Div., p.228: ROBERT
|1 w/m under 5||2 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 20-29|
|1 w/m 30-39|
Alamance County was created from Orange County in 1849.
- 1850 Census, Alamance Co., NC, So. Dist., p.9
ROBERT CHEEK, 44, farmer, $450, NC
- -- Elizabeth, 41, NC
-- Sarah, 15, NC
-- Wm, 13, NC
-- Nancy, 9, NC
-- Robert, 6, NC
-- Nathaniel, 4, NC
-- John, 2, NC
- 1860 Census, Alamance Co., NC, Graham P.O., p.139:
ROBERT CHEEK, 55, farmer, $900, $1500, NC
- -- Eliz, 53, NC
-- W.N., 24, f, NC
-- N.E., --, f, NC
-- R.G., 16, m, laborer, NC
-- N.W., 14, m, NC
-- J.T., 12, m, NC
- 1870 Census, Alamance Co., NC, Newlin Twp., p.116
ELIZABETH CHEEK, 60, keeping house, $600, $500, NC
- -- Ellen, 26, NC
- -- Robert, 24, NC
- -- John, 22, NC
- 1880 Census, Alamance Co., NC, Newlin Twp., p.12:
ELIZABETH CHEEK, 72, keeping house, NC NC NC
- -- Nancy E., 40, dau, NC NC NC
- MAY, James, 20, nephew, farm hand, NC NC NC