& Judea Kirby
Linville Higgins was born April 8, 1796, in North Carolina, and died June 6, 1881, in Surry County, NC. He married Judea Kirby. She was born abt. 1790 in NC and died Apr. 25, 1878, in Alleghany Co., NC. Linville and Judea Higgins are buried in the Linville Higgins Cemetery on Road 1450 near Ennice, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Linville Higgins & Judea Kirby:
- Goldman Higgins, b. Jan. 17, 1818, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1888, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Margaret HAMPTON, abt. 1838 (b. abt. 1822; d. Mar. 29, 1856); m. (2) Amanda Jane HODGES, Jan. 18, 1857, Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1830; d. aft. 1900). Children: Linville (c.1839), Griggs (c.1840), Juliann (c.1842), Andrew Jackson (c.1844), William (c.1846), Thomas (c.1848), Margaret Emeline (1851), Angeline (c.1852), Marshaline (c.1854), Nancy Caroline (c.1856), Robert M. "Bud" (1859), Betty A. (1865).
- Linville Higgins, Jr., b. Apr. 3, 1819, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1861, Benton Co., AR; m. Sarah WOODROW, abt. 1839 (b. abt. 1820; d. ?). Moved to Arkansas in in the 1850's. Listed in the census in Ashe Co., NC, in 1850; Benton Co., AR, in 1860. Children: John (c.1840), Moses (c.1842), Jane (c.1844), Nancy (c.1848), William (c.1854), David (1860).
- Bryant Higgins (Hagins), b. Nov. 14, 1820, Ashe Co., NC; d. May 22, 1895, Henry Co., MO; m. Irene EDWARDS, daughter of Allen EDWARDS & Sarah Nancy LANDRETH, abt. 1843 (b. Mar. 22, 1826; d. Mar. 5, 1904); bur. Round Prairie Cemetery, Milford, MO. Moved to Bentonville, AR, in 1850's, then went to Henry Co., MO. Listed in the census in Ashe Co., NC, in 1850; Dade Co., MO, 1870-1880. He changed the spelling of his name to "Hagins." Children: Shaderic "Shade" (c.1844), Martha Susan (1845), Lee (c.1847), Butler (c.1848), Judy (c.1849), Mary (c.1857), Frances J. (c.1856), Sallie (c.1857), Samuel (c.1858), Dudley (c.1862), Charles (c.1864), Laura (c.1866).
- John "Jack" Higgins, b. Feb. 19, 1822, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1899, Vernon Co., MO; m. (1) Elizabeth SIMCOCK, Sept. 19, 1849, Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1829; d. bef. 1880); m. (2) Paulina E. ROUNDTREE; bur. Ballstown Cemetery, near Richards, MO. Listed in the census in Ashe Co., NC, in 1850; Benton Co., AR, in 1860; Dade Co., MO, 1870-1880. Children: Curtis (1850), Palmira "Myra" (c.1853), Shuba (c.1855), Alexander (c.1859), Mary A. (c.1876), John W. (c.1878).
- Kirby Higgins, b. Dec. 19, 1823, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 20, 1880, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Nancy WOODROW, abt. 1846 (b. abt. 1826; d. abt. 1896); m. (2) Mary "Polly" BILLINGS, widow of Eli COX, Oct. 12, 1873, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Aug. 15, 1834; d. Feb. 19, 1929, in Phillips Co., KS); bur. Linville Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1450, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: John (c.1849), Marshall (c.1858), Jackson M. (c.1864).
- Frances Higgins, b. June 30, 1825, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1914, Surry Co., NC; m. Giles Evan HODGES (b. abt. 1826 in Surry Co., NC; d. aft. 1910). Children: Lithy Hodges (c.1851), Linville Hodges (c.1852), Sally Hodges (c.1854), William Hodges (c.1855), Juda Hodges (c.1859), Phebe Hodges (c.1862), Giles Hodges (c.1864), Malinda "Linnie" Hodges (c.1868).
- +Thomas Higgins, b. Nov. 28, 1826, Ashe Co., NC; d. Feb. 20, 1918, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Sarah "Sally" CHEEK, daughter of Chesley CHEEK & Phebe WOODRUFF, Feb. 20, 1851, Ashe Co., NC (b. Apr. 20, 1832; d. July 14, 1900); bur. Chesley Cheek Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Palmyra Higgins, b. Oct. 14, 1828, Ashe Co., NC; died by choking on a bean.
- William Higgins, b. Aug. 16, 1830, Ashe Co., NC; d. Mar. 7, 1895, Dade Co., MO; m. Mary Ellen ANDREWS, daughter of William ANDREWS, Jr., & Abi CHEEK, Feb. 24, 1851, Ashe Co., NC (b. Apr. 30, 1835; d. July 10, 1908); bur. Greenfield Cemetery, Cedar Co., MO. Listed in the census in Ashe Co., NC, in 1850; Alleghany Co., NC, 1860-1870; Dade Co., MO, 1880. Children: Aby Ellen (1853), Calvin J. (c.1856), Lafayette B. (1858), Phebe (c.1861), David (1865), Joseph Hooker (1868), Mary "Molly" (1870), Martha Velege (1876).
- David Higgins, b. Aug. 16, 1832, Ashe Co., NC; never married.
- Calvin Higgins, b. Mar. 16, 1835, Ashe Co., NC; d. May 6, 1854, Alleghany Co., NC; bur. Linville Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1450, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Sarah Higgins, b. June 14, 1837; died July 30, 1853; bur. Linville Higgins Cemetery, Rd. 1450, Alleghany Co., NC.
inville Higgins lived on Crab Creek and the Little River in northeastern Alleghany County, NC, near the Virginia state line. He obtained several land grants in this area between 1823 and 1851. Linville Higgins is believed to be a brother of John Higgins (1807-1877) and Thomas Higgins (1803-1877) who are also found in Ashe (Alleghany) County during this time period. Their parents were probably John HIGGINS & Fannie BAUGUESS (BAUGUS) of Wilkes County, NC. For more on the Higgins family, see Angela Mickey's website. See also Alleghany County Heritage (1983), p.254 (article on Linville Higgins), and Genealogy and history of some of the descendants of Linville Higgins and Juda Kirby of Alleghany County, North Carolina, by Fred J. Gray (1943) (available on microfilm from the LDS library). Linville Higgins' estate was probated in Alleghany Co., NC, in 1881 (NC Archives Box No. CR.004.508.13)
1820 Census, Ashe Co., NC: LENVELL HIGGONS
|1 w/m under 10||1 w/f under 10|
|1 w/m 26-25||1 w/f 16-25|
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.30: LINVIL HAGANS
|1 w/m under 5||2 w/f under 5|
|4 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 30-39|
|1 w/m 10-14|
|1 w/m 30-39|
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.10: LENVELL HIGGINS
|1 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|2 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 10-14|
|2 w/m 10-14||1 w/f 15-19|
|2 w/m 15-19||1 w/f 50-59|
|1 w/m 20-29|
|1 w/m 40-49|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.244:
LINVILLE HIGGINS, 54, farmer, $1000, NC
- -- Judy, 60, NC
- -- Thos., 24, NC
- -- Wm., 19, NC
- -- David, 18, NC
- -- Calvin, 16, NC
- -- Sarah, 13, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
LINVILLE HIGGINS, 64, farmer, $275, $200, NC
- -- Judia, 68, NC
- -- David, 28, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: LINVILLE HIGGINS, 100 acres improved land, 230 acres unimproved land, value of farm $500, value of farm implements $30, 2 horses, 0 asses/mules, 2 milch cows, 0 working oxen, 8 other cattle, 10 sheep, 10 swine, value of livestock $245. (Source: New River Notes)
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.
LYNVILLE HIGGINS, 74, farmer, NC
- -- Judia, 78, keeps house, NC
- 1880 Census, Surry Co., NC, Bryan Twp., p.48:
EVAN HODGES, 54, NC NC NC, farmer
- -- Francis, wife, 54, NC NC NC
- -- July, dau, 18, " " "
- -- Giles, son, 16, " " "
- -- Phebe, dau, 13, " " "
- -- Malinda, dau, 11, " " "
- HIGGINS, Linville, father-in-law, 84, NC Ireland NC
Dec. 8, 1823. State of NC to Linville HIGGINS, 43 acres in Ashe County beg. on his own line adj. Little River & Mades Knob. Entered Feb. 11, 1822. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 1266, Folder No. 188.8.131.523, Grant No. 1154, Book 135:460.)
Dec. 9, 1835. State of NC to Linvill HIGGINS, 100 acres on Crab Creek near state line & CONLEY. Entered Nov. 15, 1831. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 2142, Folder No. 184.108.40.2060, Grant No. 2054, Book 142:277.)
Dec. 20, 1838. State of NC to Linvill HIGGINS, 50 acres on Little River adj. William HARDIN. Entered Apr. 1, 1836. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 2626, Folder No. 220.127.116.1135, Grant No. 2365, Book 145:269.)
Dec. 4, 1840. State of NC to Linville HIGGINS, 100 acres on Crab Creek between his own line & CHOAT. Entered May 28, 1838. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 2779, Folder No. 18.104.22.16890, Grant No. 2680, Book 146:377.)
Dec. 29, 1844. State of NC to Linville HIGGINS, 50 acres on Crab Creek of Little River. Entered Aug. 7, 1843. ((NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 3229, Folder No. 22.214.171.12441, Grant No. 4031, Book 150:94.)
Mar. 10, 1849. Joel KIRBY, Samuel KIRBY, Linville HIGGINS & wife Judy, & Giles HODGES & wife Sally, to Jesse KERBY, 20 acres on Crab Creek of Little River adj. old BILLOW [BALLOW] line, Hiram HIGGINS, & bank of the creek, for $20. Signed: Samuel (X) KIRBY, Judy (X) HIGGINS, Joel (X) KERBY, Jesse KERBY, Giles HODGES, Sally (X) HODGES. Wits: Toliver S. HIGGINS, Hiram HIGGINS, Goldman HIGGINS, Phillip B. KERBY. Proved Sept. 27, 1869, by Hiram HIGGINS. (Alleghany DB 1:389.)
Jan. 4, 1851. State of NC to Linville HIGGINS, 46 acres in Ashe County on Big Pine Creek. Entered Sept. 21, 1844. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 4119, Folder No. 126.96.36.19985, Grant No. 4868, Book 155:198.)
Feb. 23, 1855. Linvill HIGGINS to Thomas HIGGINS, 150 acres on Crab Creek of Little River, for $300. 1st tract: adj. his old line, a road, running through two hundred acre tracts to John HIGGINS, L. HIGGINS. 2nd tract: a part of another tract adj. his old line. 3rd tract: adj. his old line. Signed: Linvill HIGGINS. Wits: David HIGGINS, Chesley CHEEK. Proved Apr. 13, 1874, by David HAGINS & by Goldman HIGGINS from Chesley CHEEK's handwriting. (Alleghany DB 2:141.)
Dec. 22, 1856. State of NC to Lynville HIGGINS, 100 acres in Ashe County on Little River adj. his own line & TOMPKINS. Entered Jan. 4, 1850. (Land Grant No. 3421.) (Alleghany DB 1:336.)
Dec. 9, 1865. Linvill HIGGINS to William HIGGINS, 50 acres on Crab Creek of Little River adj. HIGGINS & COLLINS, for $75. Signed: Linvill HIGGINS. Wits: T.S. HIGGINS. Proved July10, 1869, by T.S. HIGGINS. (Alleghany DB 1:294.)
Oct. 5, 1869. Linvill HIGGINS to William HIGGINS, 30 acres on Crab Creek of Little River adj. T. HIGGINS, Wm. HIGGINS, G. HIGGINS, & the old line, for $100. Signed: Linville HIGGINS. Wits: Thomas HIGGINS, C.J. HIGGINS. Proved Nov. 9, 1872, by Thomas HIGGINS. (Alleghany DB 1:524.)
Mar. 9, 1869. Linvill HIGGINS to grandson Jackson McNaly HIGGINS, part of the old 100 acre tract on the Little River, for $150. 1st tract: beg. east of Mads [Maids?] Knob on the east side of what's called the Lille [Little?] Creek, adj. the old road & the old line. 2nd tract: 50 acres. [In all?] containing 100 acres more or less. Part of the old tract is exempt where Jackson McNaly HIGGINS' grandmother now lives, the old house & lot round about it 7 or 8 acres, during her lifetime or as long as she prefers to stay on it. [No signature]. Wits: Thomas CARR, Larkin M. PHIPPS. Proved by Haywood EDWARDS from the handwriting of Thomas CARR who is now dead [no date]. [There follows a notation that in the case of Thos. HIGGINS vs. Kerby HIGGINS & Jackson HIGGINS, Spring term 1879, the Alleghany County Court adjudged that this deed to Jackson HIGGINS was valid & would prevail over a conflicting deed to Thos. HIGGINS dated Sept. 15, 1874 (DB 3:38).] (Alleghany DB 5:103.)
Feb. 11, 1870. Linvill HIGGINS to Kerby HIGGINS, 100 acres on Crab Creek of Little River, beg. at a 50 acre corner, adj. TOMPKINS, for $100. "The third line of this tract runs through Sary TOMPKINS' field which I the said Linvill HIGGINS doth give up to Sary TOMPKINS as long as she tends the land & keep up the fence it is for her use & benefit otherwise it fall back to Kerby HIGGINS & his heirs." Signed: Linvill HIGGINS. Wits: D.H. (X) JOHNSON, B.F. (X) DUNKINS [DUNCAN]. Proved Dec. 18, 1885, by D.H. JOHNSON. Filed for reg. Dec. 18, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:221.)
Mar. 3, 1874. Linville HIGGINS to Mary HIGGINS & heirs of her body, 100 acres on Crab Creek of Little River adj. CHOAT, TOLIVER, the wagon road, Thomas HIGGINS spring branch, line of the old 100 acre tract, & RICHARDSON, for $100. Signed: Linville HIGGINS. Wits: T.S. HIGGINS, John HIGGINS. Proved July 15, 1874, by T.S. HIGGINS. (Alleghany DB 2:135.)
Sept. 15, 1874. Linville HAGINS [HIGGINS] to Thomas HAGINS, 100 acres on Crab Creek, part of 2 tracts, for $200. 1st tract: adj. the road & the old line. 2nd tract: adj. the first tract & the line of a 50 acre tract. Signed: Linvil HAGINS, Sr. Wits: Goldman HAGINS, Spicer HAGINS. NB: "I hereby reserve the lot named the house wherein Judy HAGINS now lives containing some eight or ten acres more or less during her natural life to use or to do as she pleases". Signed: Thos. HAGINS. Wit: Goldman HAGINS. Proved July 8, 1875 (ack'd). Reg. July 6, 1875. (Alleghany DB 3:38.) Note: this deed was ruled invalid because it conflicted with a prior deed to Jackson McNaly HIGGINS dated Mar. 9, 1869 (DB 5:103); see above.
Oct. 1, 1875. Linvil HIGGINS & wife Judy to Morgan BRYAN, Adm'r of G.H. BRYAN, dec'd, 46 acres on Big Pine Creek adj. his line & M. BRYAN, for $46. Signed: Linvil HIGGINS, Juda (X) HIGGINS. Wit: P.C. HIGGINS. Proved Apr. 11, 1876 (ack'd). Reg. Apr. 13, 1876. (Alleghany DB 3:183.)