Richard Cheek (1815)
of Orange County, NC
Richard Cheek, son of Robert "Robin" CHEEK, Jr., & Martha "Patsy" Andrews, was born 1815 in Orange Co., NC, and died 1868 in Orange Co., NC. He married Sarah Cates, daughter of Thomas & Martha CATES, abt. 1836. She was born abt. 1817 and died aft. 1880 in Orange Co., NC. Richard and Sarah (Cates) Cheek are said to be buried at the Cane Creek Baptist Church in Bingham Twp., Orange Co., NC, but their gravestones can no longer be found.
Children of Richard Cheek & Sarah Cates:
- William Newton Cheek, b. Feb 14, 1837, Orange Co., NC; d. Aug, 29, 1875, Lauderdale Co., TN; m. Julia Ann ANDREWS, daughter of Berry ANDREWS & Mary BEAVER, Oct. 15, 1854, Orange Co., NC (b. June 6, 1831; d. July 20, 1889). Children: Emma or Valenia Cheek (c.1855), Mary Cheek (c.1859), John Cheek (c.1864), George Cheek (c.1858), Franklin Cheek (c.1870). In the book Lauderdale County From Earliest Times (Ripley, TN: 1957), Mrs. Ocie Cheek writes that "William Nuten Cheek" came to Lauderdale Co., TN, from Orange Co., NC, in 1869 with his wife Julia Ann, and their four children Emma, Mary Ann Della, John and George. A fifth child, Frank, was born in Tennessee. William N. Cheek died in 1875 and is buried at the Enon Baptist Church. Emma Cheek m. Charlie OLDS; Mary Della Cheek m. Robert FOWLER (whose family also came from Orange Co., NC); John Cheek m. Laura PITTMAN; George Cheek m. (1) Bettie CUNNINGHAM and (2) Hazel EDWARDS; Frank Cheek m. Mollie JENNINGS. (This information kindly provided by Ethyl Lyons.)
- Pleasant Green Cheek, b. Feb. 7, 1839, Orange Co., NC; d. Dec. 21, 1921, Orange Co., NC; m. Julia PICKARD, Oct. 4, 1866, Orange Co., NC (b. Nov. 4, 1845; d. Nov. 27, 1922); bur. Cane Creek Baptist Church, Orange Co., NC. Children: Cara Belle Cheek (1867), Ella Cheek (1871), Junius L. "June" Cheek (m.) (1877).
- Nancy Cheek, b. abt. 1845, Orange Co., NC. Maybe the Nancy CHEEK who m. Julian MAY, Dec. 24, 1867, Orange Co., NC. They were living in Davidson Co., NC, in 1870 & 1880. Children: Walter May (c.1858), Georgia May (c.1872), Joseph May (c.1874), Mary May (c.1878).
- Martha Cheek, b. abt. 1847, Orange Co., NC.
- Richard Franklin Cheek, b. Dec. 22, 1854, Orange Co., NC; d. Aug. 27, 1922, Alamance Co., NC; m. Mary Elizabeth SYKES (b. Dec. 30, 1853, d. Jan. 6, 1918); bur. Pine Hill Cemetery, Burlington, NC. Children: Franklin Sisco Cheek (1873), Sevilla Cheek (c.1875), Maggie B. Cheek (c.1879).
- Elmore Cheek, b. abt. 1858, Orange Co., NC.
- Adaline Cheek, b. abt. 1864, Orange Co., NC.
ichard Cheek (b. 1815) was a son of Robert "Robin" CHEEK of Orange County, NC, proven by estate papers filed after Robert's death in 1866 that list all of his heirs. Richard Cheek (1815) reportedly died during the fall of 1868.
1840 Census, Orange Co., NC, p.221: RICHARD CHEEK
|2 w/m under 5||1 w/f 15-19|
|1 w/m 20-29|
Aug. 29, 1843. Orange Co., NC. Richard CHEEK to James CATE, 8 acres on headwaters of New Hope Creek adj. William CHEEK, Archibald ANDREWS & others, for $83; wits: B. CHEEK, Wiley ANDREWS. (Orange DB 32, p.15.)
Jan. 22, 1845. Orange Co., NC. James PERDUE & wife Biddy of Randolph Co., NC, to Richard CHEEK of Orange Co., NC, 67.6 acres in Orange Co. on Collins Creek adj. Thomas CATES & others, from bank of said creek through north end of Wolf Pond, for $75; wits: Wm. F. STRAYHORN & Wiley ANDREWS. Reg. Jan. 22, 1845. (Orange DB 31, p.163.)
1850 Census: not listed.
- 1860 Census, Orange Co., NC, White Cross P.O., p.544
RICHARD CHEEK, 47, farmer, $1400, $810, NC
- -- Sarah, 47, NC
-- Green, 21, farm laborer, NC
-- Nancy, 15, NC
-- Martha, 13, NC
-- Franklin, 5, NC
-- Elmore, 2, NC
- 1870 Census, Orange Co., NC, Bingham Twp,. p.110
SARAH CHEEK, 52, keeping house, $800, $300, NC
- -- Franklin, 15, NC
- -- Elmore, 12, NC
- -- Adaline, 6, NC
- 1880 Census, Orange Co., NC, Bingham Twp., p.240:
R. FRANKLIN CHEEK, 25, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Mary E., wife, 26, NC NC NC
-- Sisco, son, 7, " " "
-- Sevella, dau, 5, " " "
-- Maggie B., dau, 1, " " "
-- Sarah, mother, 62, " " "
-- Corcuna A., niece, 16, " " "