Stephen Crouse &
Stephen Crouse, son of Adam & Elizabeth CROUSE, was born Oct. 9, 1793, in Wilkes (Ashe) Co., NC, and died Jan. 6, 1851, in Ashe Co., NC. He married Elizabeth Wagoner, possibly a daughter of Henry WAGONER. She was born between 1790-1800 and died aft. 1856 in Ashe Co., NC.
Children of Stephen Crouse & Elizabeth Wagoner:
- Sarah Crouse, b. June 11, 1818, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 7, 1889, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Daniel WHITEHEAD, son of James WHITEHEAD & Mary HOPPERS (b. July 2, 1821; d. June 4, 1876); bur. Daniel Whitehead Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Elizabeth "Bettie" Whitehead (1844) m. Robert WOODRUFF; William Whitehead (c.1847) m. Cynthia EDWARDS; John Whitehead (1848) m. Sarah E. CAUDILL; Ann Whitehead (c.1853) m. William S. BROWN; Martha Whitehead (c.1855); Sarah Whitehead (1858) m. Sowell Thomas EDWARDS.
- Nancy Crouse, b. July 28, 1820, Ashe Co., NC; d. Dec. 12, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC; m. William WHITEHEAD, son of James WHITEHEAD & Mary HOPPERS (b. May 28, 1822; d. Aug. 23, 1902); bur. Daniel Whitehead Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Sarah M. Whitehead (1846) m. Berry H. EDWARDS; Daniel C. Whitehead (1852) m. Sarah EDWARDS; Susan Whitehead (c.1863).
- Martin Crouse, b. Nov. 4, 1824, Ashe Co., NC; d. Oct. 20, 1864, Alleghany Co., NC; M. Ann WHITEHEAD, daughter of James WHITEHEAD & Mary HOPPERS (b. Dec. 1829; d. bet. 1910-1920); bur. Martin Crouse Cemetery, Road 1123, Alleghany Co., NC. Martin Crouse was a member of the Alleghany County Home Guard during the Civil War and was killed in a fight with "bushwhackers" at Killen's Branch. See J.P. Arthur, Western North Carolina: A History (1914) Ch. 27, p.616. Children: Daniel Crouse (1846) m. Sarah STILLER; Mary Jane Crouse (1848) m. George W. SEXTON; Catherine Elizabeth Crouse (1849) m. Elbert BROWN; Sarah Crouse (c.1851) m. Allen LANDRETH; Henry Crouse (c.1853) m. Sarah Ann WAGONER; William Crouse (1853) m. Pinky Catherine HOPPERS; Martha Crouse (c.1863); Nancy Crouse (1864) m. Hastin EDWARDS.
- Frances Crouse, b. July 13, 1833, Ashe Co., NC; d. Sept. 24, 1915, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Sanders Jackson EVANS, son of James EVANS & Margaret A. PUGH (b. abt. 1830, d. 1865).
- Unknown son, b. 1831-1835. Maybe +Benjamin Crouse, b. abt. 1831; d. Sept. 30, 1864, Fort Harrison, VA (Civil War); m. Araminta "Minty" EVANS, possibly the daughter of James EVANS & Margaret A. PUGH, abt. 1849 (b. Mar. 4, 1826; d. Jan. 27, 1910).
- Jane Crouse, b. abt. 1836, Ashe Co., NC.
tephen Crouse lived in the Pine Swamp Creek area of Alleghany County. However, I have not been able to find much information about him. He is not listed in the census until 1840, and in the 1850 census, his age (77) appears to be incorrect. He was probably 57 years old, not 77. This may be an error by the census taker.
On Aug. 16, 1856, Elizabeth CROUSE (probably the widow of Stephen Crouse) purchased 100 acres of land on Pine Swamp Creek from the heirs of Henry WAGGONER. (Alleghany DB 1:100.) This may refer to Henry Waggoner (Wagoner), born abt. 1775, died 1828, who was a brother of Adam Wagoner, Sr., of Surry and Ashe Co., NC. Note that this Henry Wagoner should not be confused with his nephew Henry Wagoner of Ashe Co., NC, who was born 1794 and died 1885.
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.8: STEPHEN CROUSE
|1 w/m 5-9||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 15-19||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 40-49||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/f 15-19|
|1 w/f 20-29|
|1 w/f 40-49|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.252 (HH#207):
STEPHEN CROWS, 73, farmer, $100, NC <<ages of Stephen & Eliza seem to be incorrect
- -- Eliza, 70, NC
- -- Mary, 22, NC
- -- Frances, 18, NC
- -- Jane, 14, NC
- -- Martha, 3, NC
Aug. 16, 1856. Heirs of Henry WAGGONER, dec'd (Henry WAGGONER, Ebenezer PERRY & wife Barbary, Henry PERRY & wife Mary, Martin CROUSE & wife Susanna), to Elizabeth CROUSE, 100 acres on south side of Pine Swamp Creek where Elizabeth CROUSE now lives, adj. SPURLIN & a branch, for $1. Signed: Henry (X) WAGGONER, Ebenezer (X) PERRY, Barbara (X) PERRY, Mary (X) PERRY, Henry (X) PERRY. Wits: Franklin ROSE, Martin WAGGONER, Josiah CAUDILL. (Alleghany DB 1:100.)