Thomas Joines, Jr. &
Lydia (Elidia) Hoppers
Thomas Joines, Jr., son of Thomas JOINES, Sr., & Mary CAUDILL, was born Jan. 15, 1802, in Wilkes Co., NC. and died Mar.-Apr. 1868, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Lydia (Elidia) Hoppers, daughter of Daniel HOPPERS & Anna Maria FENDER, abt. 1823. She was born Oct. 2, 1801, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Aug. 4, 1879, in Alleghany Co., NC. Thomas and Lydia are buried at the Thomas Joines Cemetery, Rd. 1133, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Thomas Joines, Jr., & Lydia Hoppers:
- Mary "Polly" Joines, b. abt. 1823; d. unk.; m. Richard BAUGUS (b. abt. 1823; d. unk.) Children: Sarah Baugus (c.1846), Lydia Baugus (c.1848), Ezekiel Baugus (c.1848), John Baugus (c.1852), Thomas Baugus (c.1854), Sessa J. Baugus (c.1856), Martha Baugus (1860).
- +Ezekiel Joines, b. May 9, 1824, Wilkes or Ashe Co., NC; d. Mar. 7, 1904, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Jane "Jennie" CROUSE, daughter of Benjamin CROUSE & Wady CHEEK, Apr. 6, 1842, Ashe Co., NC (b. Oct. 27, 1827; d. Mar. 10, 1911); bur. Ezekiel Joines Cemetery, Rd. 1121/1122, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Susan Joines, b. Mar. 5, 1826, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1880, probably in Wilkes Co., NC; m. Andrew Franklin BLEVINS, abt. 1846 (b. Nov. 19, 1827; d. Jan. 1897, Wilkes Co., NC). Children: Calloway Blevins (1847), Rosie Blevins (c.1848), John A. Blevins (1850), Martha Blevins (c.1852), Ezekiel Blevins (c.1856), Linville Blevins (c.1858), Lydia Blevins (c.1859), Squire Blevins (1861), William T. Blevins (c.1865), Daniel Blevins (c.1867).
- Daniel Joines, b. Oct. 16, 1828, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 19, 1910, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Mary "Molly" HOPPERS, daughter of Jacob HOPPERS & Keziah LANDRETH, abt. 1850 (b. Jan. 7, 1826; d. Nov. 25, 1902) (separated 1859, divorce granted 1865); m. (2) Nancy Jane BROWN, probably the daughter of John BROWN & Sidney JOHNSON of Wilkes Co., NC, abt. 1868 (b. Apr. 15, 1846; d. Mar. 3, 1932); bur. Thomas Joines Cemetery, Rd. 1133, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Jacob Joines (1850), Lydia Joines (1852), Robert Joines (1853), Catherine Joines (1856), Kisiah Joines (1857), Mollie Joines (1859), Haywood Major Joines (1868), John Calloway Joines (1869), Laura A. Joines (1871), James M. Joines (1876), Francis Marion Joines (1882).
- John W. Joines, b. abt. 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1919, Cloud Co., KS; m. Ruth Emeline EDWARDS, daughter of Berry EDWARDS & Ruth DAVIS, Apr. 20, 1856, Ashe Co., NC (b. July 30, 1837; d. May 14, 1930). Children: Cynthia Joines (1857), Phoebe Jane Joines (1862), William Joines (1865), Sarah E. Joines (1867), Nellie Joines (1873), John Joines (1876), Myrtle E. Joines (1879).
- Calloway Joines, b. June 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. 1912, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Susanna CROUSE, daughter of Jacob A. CROUSE & Nancy FENDER, Jan. 7, 1852, Ashe Co., NC (b. abt. 1832; d. 1881); m. (2) Nancy CROUSE, daughter of Benjamin CROUSE, Jr., & Araminta "Minty" Unk., Dec. 20, 1892, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 1850; d. aft. 1910); bur. Thomas Joines Cemetery, Rd. 1133, Alleghany Co., NC. Children: Solomon Joines (1853), Levi Jackson Joines (1856), Sessie Elizabeth Joines (1859).
- Martha "Patsy" Joines, b. abt. 1834, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1900, Wilkes Co., NC; m. Francis Marion BROWN, son of John BROWN & Sidney JOHNSON of Wilkes Co., NC, abt. 1860 (b. abt. 1838; d. aft. 1900). Children: James Brown (c.1862), John Q.A. Brown (c.1865), Lydia J. Brown (c.1867), Richard B. Brown (1870).
- +Narcissa "Sessie" Joines, b. Mar. 3, 1837, Ashe Co., NC; d. Apr. 26, 1922, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Meredith RICHARDSON, son of Alexander RICHARDSON & Martha CHEEK, abt. 1862 (b. Aug. 7, 1839; d. June 16, 1903); bur. Thomas Joines Cemetery, Rd. 1133, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Linville Joines, b. abt. 1840, Ashe Co., NC; d. Aug. 31, 1864 (Civil War).
homas Joines, Jr., was born in Wilkes County, NC, but moved to neighboring Ashe County soon after 1820. He married Lydia Hoppers about 1823 based on the ages of their children. They settled on the Little River in Ashe County (later Alleghany County) near what became the town of Whitehead. They probably lived on land that had once been owned by Lydia's father Daniel Hoppers. According Alleghany County Heritage (1983), p.282, article no. 433, Thomas Joines and his wife Lydia purchased 300 acres of land from the heirs of Daniel Hoppers (i.e., Lydia's brothers and sisters) on Nov. 12, 1824. This deed was (presumably) recorded in Ashe County. Two other deeds between Daniel Hoppers' heirs, executed on the same date, were recorded many years later in Alleghany County (Alleghany Co., NC, Deed Book 3, pp.117, 180.)
Thomas Joines' gravestone in the Thomas Joines Family Cemetery near the Whitehead Union Baptist Church, Alleghany County, reportedly shows a birthdate of Jan. 15, 1802, and date of death of April 26, 1866. However, Thomas's will proves he died in 1868, not 1866. Thomas signed his will on Mar. 16, 1868, and was recorded in the Alleghany County Court on April 27, 1868. The gravestone may have been erected after Thomas's wife Lydia died in 1879, more than eleven years after his death, which could explain the incorrect dates.
Census records indicate that Thomas and Lydia had at least 10 children, including 5 boys and 5 girls. The article in Alleghany County Heritage, p.282, states they may have had as many as 12 children, but only nine have been identified.
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.36: THOMAS JOINS
|2 w/m under 5||1 w/f under 5|
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/f 20-29|
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.8: THOS. JOINS
|3 w/m 5-9||2 w/f under 5|
|2 w/m 10-14||2 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 15-19|
|1 w/f 30-39|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.256 (HH#273):
THOS. JOINS, 49, farmer, $1300, NC
- -- Lydia, 48, NC
- -- Callaway, 20, NC
- -- John A., 18, NC
- -- Patsy, 16, NC
- -- Narcysa, 13, NC
- -- Linville, 10, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.,
THOS. JOINES, 58, farmer, $--, $--, NC
- -- Lydia, 37, NC << note: probably an error; her age should be 57
- -- Martha, 24, NC
- -- Narcissa, 23, NC
- -- Linville, 21, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: THOS. JOINES, 60 acres improved land, 30 acres unimproved land, value of farm $1,000, value of farm implements $75, 2 horses, 0 asses/mules, 5 milch cows, 0 working oxen, 12 other cattle, 14 sheep, 65 swine, value of livestock $430. (Source: New River Notes)
|1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp. (HH#22):|
|LYDIA JOINES, 68, keeping house, NC|
|-- Eveline, 19, at home, NC||}||probably grandchildren|
|-- Robert, 16, at home, NC|
Mar. 16, 1868. Thomas JOINES wrote his will on Mar. 16, 1868, and it was proved on Apr. 27, 1868. According to researcher Eldon Joines, Thomas JOINES' original will is located in the North Carolina State Archives in a stack of unbound wills from Alleghany County dated 1859-1912. Daniel JOINES is the only child mentioned in the will by name. Marion BROWN was named as a co-executor and Meredith RICHARDSON served as a witness. The inventory of the estate was filed on Oct. 30, 1868. Among the items which Elyda (Lydia) purchased from the estate was a "still and worm" for three dollars. Elida and Ezekiel JOINES submitted the final return of the estates' debts and assets in August 1872.
Nov. 12, 1824. James WHITEAD [WHITEHEAD] & wife Mary, David EVANS & wife Betsy, Moses JOINS & wife Susannah, John HOPPERAS, Jacob HOPPERAS, & Thomas JOINS & wife Lydia, to Henry WAGGONER & his wife Sarah, the joint heirs & legatees of Daniel HOPPERAS, dec'd, all their claims as heirs of the said deceased to 280 acres on Little River, adj. Daniel HOPPERAS' old line, a branch, the agreed line on top of Turkey Knob Ridge, HOPPERAS' old line near CROUSE Knob, the courses of the Little River, & Mary HOPPERS' line. Signed: James WHITEAD, Mary (X) WHITEAD, David EVANS, Elizabeth (X) EVANS, John HOPPERAS, Jacob (X) HOPPERAS, Moses JOINS, Susan (X) JOINS, Thos. JOINS, Lydia (X) JOINS. Wits: Benjamin (X) KROWSE, John (X) SPURLIN. Proved Dec. 6, 1875, by Benjamin CROUSE. Reg. Dec. 14, 1875. (Alleghany DB 3:117.)
Nov. 12, 1824. David EVANS & wife Betsy, Henry WAGGONER & wife Sarah, Moses JOINES & wife Susannah, John HOPPERAS, Jacob HOPPERAS, & Thomas JOINS & wife Lydia, to James WHITEAD & wife Mary, joint heirs of Daniel HOPPERAS, dec'd, all their claims as heirs of the said deceased to several tracts on Little River. 1st tract: 150 acres on north side Little River on CROUSE's line. 2nd tract: 110 acres on Little River adj. Gabriel FENDER, Windel CROUSE's old line, said HOPPERAS' line, Nimrod FENDER, & John FENDER. 3rd tract: 24 acres on Little River adj. said HOPPERAS & Windel CROUSE. 4th tract: 101 acres adj. Windel CROUSE's old corner, running west across Little River to the 1st tract. The several tracts containing 385 acres. Signed: David EVANS, Elisabeth (X) EVANS, Henry WAGGONER, Sarah (X) WAGGONER, Moses JOINS, Susannah (X) JOINS, John HOPPERAS, Jacob (X) HOPPERAS, Thos. (X) JOINS, Lydia (X) JOINES. Wits: Benjamin (X) KROWSE, John (X) SPURLIN. Proved Mar. 6, 1876, by Benj. CROUSE. Reg. Apr. 13, 1876. (Alleghany DB 3:180.)
Jan. 20, 1866. Major JOINS [JOINES] of Wilkes Co., NC, to Thomas JOINS & Lydia JOINS of Alleghany Co., NC, 175 acres on Little River adj. a cond'l line, the mill ford, the old line, & said Major JOINS, for $170. Signed: Major JOINS. Wits: Isom WAGONER, F.M. JOINS. Proved Apr. term 1868 by Isom WAGONER. (Alleghany DB 1:230, 2:34.)
Mar. 14, 1868. Thomas JOINES to Meridith RICHARDSON, a tract of land on Little River [no acreage stated] adj. the old 28 acre line, for $40. Signed: Thomas JOINES, Lydia (X) JOINES. Wits: Isom WAGONER, Daniel JOINES. Proved Fall term 1868 by Daniel JOINES. (Alleghany DB 1:293.)
May 24, 1873. Major JOINES of Wilkes Co., NC, to Lidya JOINES of Alleghany Co., NC, 175 acres on Little River adj. bank of the river, M. RICHARDSON, the GAMBILL entry, the old line, the old HOPPERAS survey, a road near a mill, William WHITEAD [WHITEHEAD], & Daniel JOINES, for $173. Signed: Major JOINES. Wits: M.F. JOINES, Mary BROWN? [This note follows:] May 31, 1873, "This deed made in the place of a deed made by me to Thomas & Liddya JOINES [DB 1:230] in which a fatal defect has been discovered and Thomas JOINES being dead the legal title vesting in Liddya JOINES, I therefore make the deed to her in her own name". Signed: Major JOINES. Proved June 7, 1873, by M.F. JOINES. (Alleghany DB 2:34.)
May 29, 1875. Lydia JOINES & Alexander RICHARDSON, boundary dispute. "This day being called on to survey the land where Lyda JOINES lives also to establish the corner of the land that Jacob HOPPAS sold to Merida RICHARDSON now owned by Alex RICHARDSON. Jacob HOPPAS states on his oath that the NE corner was on a Spanish oak near yellow bank ford SW of WHITEHEAD's Mill House near where WHITEHEAD has today set up a Rock he also states on his oath that the corner on the maple corner claimed by Alex RICHARDSON he never claimed Benjamin CROUSE states on his oath that the NE of the land Jacob HOPPAS sold to Merida RICHARDSON was on a Spanish oak SE of Daniel WHITEHEAD's Mill House at or near where WHITEHEAD had this day set up a Rock for a corner and not the corner of Lyda JOIN's land." Subscribed and sworn to in the presence of William HILL, Stephen HOPPAS, Elizabeth JOINES, Alex RICHARDSON, Henry RICHARDSON, Daniel HOPPAS, Jacob JOINES, Joseph WARDIN? & others [not identified]. Signed: Jacob (X) HOPPERS, Benjamin (X) CROUSE. Wit: M.F. JOINES Reg. June 15, 1875. (Alleghany DB 3:376.)
Sept. 4, 1875. Lydia JOINES to Jacob HOPPERS, 8 ¼ acres on Little River, for $45. Beg. on a rock at yellow bank ford on west side of the river about one rod south of the mill house running down the north side of the river north bank of the river to the bend with the river to a stake below the ford crossing the bottom to RICHARDSON line. Signed: Lydia (X) JOINES. Wits: M.F. JOINES, Rob (X) JOINES. Proved July 4, 1891, by M.F. JOINES. Reg. July 7, 1891. (Alleghany DB 8:487.)
May 9, 1876. David EDWARDS & Jacob HOPPERS, settlement agreement. Whereas David EDWARDS & Jacob HOPPERS have conflicting claims to a tract of land on the Little River on which Liddia JOINES now resides, a description of which is contained in the deed from Major JOINES to Lydia JOINES [DB 1:230, & DB 2:34]; it is mutually agreed between the parties to each execute a deed to the other for one half of said land, it being understood that Lydia JOINES is entitled to a life estate. Signed: D.C. EDWARDS, Jacob (X) HOPPERS. Wit: W.C. FIELDS. Proved May 9, 1876, by W.C. FIELDS. Reg. May 10, 1876. (Alleghany DB 3:197.)
May 9, 1877. Jacob HOPPERS to David C. EDWARDS, [mortgage deed], tract of land on the Little River where Lyda JOINS now lives adj. Daniel JOINS, Henry RICHARDSON, & others [not identified], & bounded as described in a deed from Major JOINS to Lyda JOINS, & from Lyda JOINS to Jacob HOPPERS dated Sept. 4, 1875 [DB 8:487]. To secure $300 debt. Signed: Jacob (X) HOPPERS. Wits: G. Mc. REEVES, Geo. W. THOMPSON. Proved May 9, 1877, by G. Mc. REEVES. Mortgage satisfied Apr. 18, 1881. (Alleghany DB 2:400.)
Oct. 21, 1878. John R. WYATT, Sheriff, to Daniel JOINS & Meredith RICHARDSON, 140 acres on Little River belonging to Jacob HOPPERS, adj. M. RICHARDSON, Alex'r RICHARDSON, a mill, the old BOLTON [BURTON?] tract, & boundaries set forth in a deed from Lydia JOINES to Jacob HOPPERS. Sold at public auction on Oct. 2, 1878, by virtue of an execution in favor of Isom WAGONER guardian of Liddia JOINS against Jacob HOPPERS. The last & highest bidder was James THOMPSON for $60.45 who assigned his bid to Daniel JOINS & Meredith RICHARDSON. Signed: John R. WYATT, Sheriff. Wits: Stephen LANDRETH, Thomas FENDER. Proved Oct. 21, 1878 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 4:312.)
Dec. 12, 1878. Meredith RICHARDSON & wife Sesa to Daniel JOINES, tract of land on Little River where Elydia JOINES now lives [no acreage stated], for $130. Boundaries set forth in a deed from Elydia JOINES to Jacob HOPPERS. Signed: Meredith RICHARDSON, Sessa (X) RICHARDSON. Proved Jan. 28, 1879 (ack'd). Reg. Dec. 24, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:131.)