& Wady Cheek
Benjamin Crouse, son of Adam & Elizabeth CROUSE, was born 1800 in Ashe Co., NC, and died Apr. 6, 1891, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Wady Cheek, daughter of Richard CHEEK & Jane "Jennie" ANDREWS, about 1826. She was born 1807 in Orange Co., NC, and died Oct. 11, 1865, in Alleghany Co., NC. Benjamin and Wady (Cheek) Crouse are buried at the Henderson Crouse Cemetery, located at the Doughton Park Campground, Road 1131, Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Benjamin Crouse & Wady Cheek:
- +Jane "Jennie" Crouse, b. Oct. 27, 1827, Ashe Co., NC; d. Mar. 10, 1911, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Ezekiel JOINES, son of Thomas JOINES, Jr., & Lydia HOPPERS, Apr. 6, 1842, in Ashe Co., NC (b. May 9, 1824; d. Mar. 7, 1904); bur. Ezekiel Joines Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC.
- Unknown son, b. 1831-1835. Maybe +Benjamin Crouse, b. abt. 1831; d. Sept. 30, 1864, Fort Harrison, VA (Civil War); m. Araminta "Minty" EVANS, possibly the daughter of James EVANS & Margaret A. PUGH, abt. 1849 (b. Mar. 4, 1826; d. Jan. 27, 1910).
- +Elizabeth Crouse, b. Mar. 26, 1832, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 3, 1912, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Franklin J. HOPPERS, son of William & Catherine HOPPERS, abt. 1852 (b. Jan. 16, 1833; d. Jan. 15, 1918); bur. Henderson Crouse Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Henderson Crouse, b. June 15, 1835, Ashe Co., NC; d. July 8, 1913, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Mary Ann HOWELL, Mar. 4, 1856, Ashe Co., NC (b. Sept. 7, 1837; d. Dec. 6, 1912); bur. Henderson Crouse Cemetery, Alleghany Co., NC. Child: John Wesley (c.1857).
- +Sarah Crouse, b. Jan 1840, Ashe Co., NC; d. aft. 1920, Carroll Co., VA; m. (1) Wesley GILHAM, son of David GILHAM & Mary HOWELL, Dec. 28, 1857, Ashe Co., NC (b. May 23, 1836; d. July 17, 1911) (divorced before 1870); m. (2) Anderson BAUGUS, son of Osborn BAUGUS & Frances ROBERTS, Mar. 21, 1870, Alleghany Co., NC (b. abt. 1848; d. aft. 1880 in Carroll Co., VA).
Air Bellows Gap, Alleghany Co., NC
Elevation 3,729 feet
enjamin Crouse and Wady Cheek probably married around 1826, based on the ages of their children. Benjamin was the son of Adam and Elizabeth CROUSE of Ashe/Alleghany County, also spelled Crows, Crowse, or Krowse. The Crouses of Alleghany County were a very large and extended family. They are believed to be the descendants of German settlers named Kraus who came to North Carolina from Pennsylvania in the late 1700's.
Wady Cheek, born in 1807, was the oldest daughter of Richard & Jennie Cheek. How she got her unusual name is unknown. "Wady" was sometimes used as a nickname for the Puritan name "Waitstill," which has an old-fashioned feel even in 1807. The Cheeks must have liked creative names. In an era when it sometimes seems like every other woman was named Mary or Elizabeth, Richard and his wife called their daughters Wady, Pinkey, and Gilley!
According to Alleghany County Heritage (Alleghany Co. Hist.-Gen. Society, 1983), p.153, article No. 239 by Wilma Crouse, "Bennie and Wadie Crouse" lived in the Airbellows section of Alleghany County, in the heart of the Blue Ridge, near where the Blue Ridge Parkway was built many years later. They were neighbors of the Brinegar family who built the Brinegar Cabin, now a historic site in Doughton Park.
Benjamin first appears in the records of Ashe County in 1824 when he witnessed two deeds involving the heirs of Daniel HOPPERS. He obtained a land grant in 1838 and is listed in the census from 1840 through 1880. Wady died in 1865; Benjamin in 1891. No will or estate files have been located at the NC Archives. They are buried at the Henderson Crouse Cemetery, located at the Doughton Park Campground, Road 1131, Alleghany Co., NC. (Alleghany Cemeteries Through 1986, pub. by the Alleghany Co. Hist.-Gen. Society.)
1830 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.29: BENJAMIN KROUCE
|1 w/m 20-29||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/f 40-49|
1840 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.10: BENJAMIN CROUSE
|1 w/m 5-9||1 w/f 5-9|
|1 w/m 30-39||1 w/f 10-14|
|1 w/f 30-39|
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.240 (HH#35):
BENJAMIN CRAWS, 46, farmer, $500, NC
- -- Wada, 43, b. in NC
-- Elizabeth, 18, NC
-- Henderson, 15, NC
-- Sarah, 9, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.,
BENJAMIN KROWS, 55, farmer, $300, $200, NC
- -- Wady, 55, NC
Dec. 27, 1864. Wady CROWSE is named in her father Richard Cheek's will (Alleghany WB 1, p.19).
1870 Census: not listed
1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp. (Ezekiel
Benjamin CROUSE, 70, father-in-law, NC NC NC
Nov. 12, 1824. Ashe Co., NC. Benjamin KROWSE witnessed 2 deeds involving the heirs of Daniel HOPPERS, deceased (David EVANS & wife Betsy, Henry WAGGONER & wife Sarah, Moses JOINES & wife Susannah, John HOPPERS, Jacob HOPPERS, Thomas JOINS & wife Lydia, and James WHITEHEAD & wife Mary). The 1st deed describes 280 acres on the Little River, Turkey Knob Ridge, & Crouse Knob. The 2nd deed describes 385 acres on the Little River adjoining Windel CROUSE's old line, Gabriel FENDER, Nimrod FENDER & John FENDER. The deeds were recorded 51 years later in Alleghany County. Benjamin CROUSE proved the validity of the deeds on Dec. 6, 1875, and Mar. 6, 1876, and they were duly registered. (Alleghany DB 3, p.117 & p.180.)
Dec. 29, 1838. State of NC to Benj. CROWS, 75 acres in Ashe County on top of the Blue Ridge adj. his own line. Entered Mar. 17, 1834. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 2633, Folder No. 184.108.40.20642, Grant No. 2533, Book 145:441).
Dec. 4, 1854. State of NC to Benjamin CROUSE, 100 acres in Ashe County on Little River adj. COX. Entered June 19, 1854. (NC Archives Land Warrants & Plats, File No. 4486, Folder No. 220.127.116.1153, Grant No. 3138, Book 159:130.)
July 13, 1855. Benjamin CROWSE to Meshack EDWARDS, tract of land in Ashe County [no acreage stated], for $200. Signed: Benjamin (X) CROWSE. Wits: Frankling HOPERAS [HOPPERS], A.F. BLEVINS. (Alleghany DB 1:272.)
Sept. 5, 1860. John BILLINGS, to Benjamin J. KROWSE, 100 acres on Little River, for $1. The east line continues on the ridge between Adam KROWSE & Adam BRINEGAR, to be a conditional line agreed to by the parties. Signed: John (X) BILLINGS. Wits: Daniel WAGGONER, Isom WAGGONER. (Alleghany DB 1:54.)
Dec. 24, 1860. Daniel WHITEHEAD to Benjamin CROWS, 38 acres on Little River, for $135. Minerals excepted. 1st tract: 30 acres adj. THOMPSON. 2nd tract: 8 acres adj. the 1st tract, THOMPSON, Benjamin CROWS, & the old WHITEHEAD line. Signed: Daniel WHITEHEAD. Wits: John H. CARSON, Isom WAGGONER. Proved Mar. 27, 1883, by Isom WAGONER. (Alleghany DB 5:234.)
Sept. 11, 1882. Alleghany Co., NC. Benjamin CROUSE to Ruffin CAUDILL of Alleghany & Surry Co., 75 acres on Roaring River adj. CROUSE, a prong of said creek, top of a ridge, for $125. Signed: Benjamin (X) CROUSE. Wits: J.R. JOINES, Henderson CROUSE. Proved Dec. 29, 1885, by Henderson CROUSE. Reg. Dec. 29, 1885. (Alleghany DB 6:272.)