& Gilley Cheek
Isaac Edwards, son of Richard "Dickie" EDWARDS & Edith BARTON (BURTON), was born Mar. 3, 1820, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Feb. 12, 1890, in Alleghany Co., NC. He married Gilley Cheek, daughter of Richard CHEEK & Jane "Jennie" ANDREWS, abt. 1842. She was born Oct. 15, 1818, in Ashe Co., NC, and died Feb. 16, 1892, in Alleghany Co., NC. Isaac & Gilley (Cheek) Edwards are buried at the Edwards & Maines Cemetery in Alleghany Co., NC.
Children of Isaac Edwards & Gilley Cheek:
- +David Edwards, b. Jan. 17, 1844, Ashe Co., NC; d. Sept. 3, 1931, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Caroline EDWARDS, daughter of Haywood Thomas EDWARDS & Jane LANDRETH, Dec. 15, 1865, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Nov. 5, 1847; d. May 31, 1925); bur. Edwards & Maines Cemetery, Rd. 1405, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Richard A. Edwards, b. Sept. 10, 1845, Ashe Co., NC; d. June 12, 1923, Alleghany Co., NC; m. (1) Mary Jane REYNOLDS, daughter of Wilson & Nancy REYNOLDS, Dec. 27, 1869, Alleghany Co., NC (b. 1852; d. May 1, 1877); m. (2) Rosabelle WOLFE, daughter of Henry Allen WOLFE & Catherine COX, Dec. 6, 1877, Alleghany Co., NC (b. June 14, 1849; d. May 11, 1932); bur. Luther Edwards Cemetery, Rd. 1418, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Eda Caroline "Eadie" Edwards, b. Aug. 4, 1849, Ashe Co., NC; d. Nov. 14, 1943, Grayson Co., VA; m. Solomon WILLEY, son of Samuel WILLEY & Sarah CROUSE, Aug. 30, 1868, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Jan. 8, 1849; d. May 6, 1942); bur. Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Rd. 1412, Alleghany Co., NC. No children.
- William Edwards, b. Abt. 1849, Ashe Co., NC; d. bef. 1860.
- +Martha Edwards, b. Feb. 25, 1852, Ashe Co., NC; d. Jan. 26, 1940, Alleghany Co., NC; m. John William MAINES, son of Peter V. MAINES & Marzella MORGAN, Aug. 18, 1885, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Oct. 31, 1868; d. July 26, 1952); bur. Edwards & Maines Cemetery, Rd. 1405, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +John Edwards, b. Aug. 3, 1854, Ashe Co., NC; d. Feb. 25, 1931, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Emilie "Millie" MCGRADY, daughter of Calvin & Patsy MCGRADY, Oct. 4, 1876, Alleghany Co., NC (b. May 16, 1862, d. Feb. 28, 1950); bur. Pleasant Home Union Baptist Church, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Chesley Edwards, b. July 23, 1857, Ashe (Alleghany) Co., NC; d. Sept. 15, 1923, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Martha Candice "Mattie" COX, daughter of Haywood COX & Frances JENNINGS, May 16, 1889, Alleghany Co., NC (b. Sept. 15, 1870; d. Sept. 24, 1942); bur. Edwards & Maines Cemetery, Rd. 1405, Alleghany Co., NC.
- +Hastin Edwards, b. Feb. 15, 1860, Ashe (Alleghany) Co., NC; d. Jan. 19, 1941, Alleghany Co., NC; m. Nancy CROUSE, daughter of Martin CROUSE & Ann WHITEHEAD, Sept. 16, 1883, in Alleghany Co., NC (b. Oct. 19, 1864; d. Jan. 26, 1944); bur. Pleasant Home Baptist Church, Rd. 1412, Alleghany Co., NC.
The New River
Alleghany Co., NC
saac Edwards and Gilly Cheek were probably married around 1842, based on the ages of their children. Originally they may have lived in the Glade Creek area near Isaac Edwards' family. By 1870, however, they had moved to central Alleghany County near the Virginia state line, where the New River makes a loop into North Carolina. This was known as the Nile Community. Isaac and Gilley (Cheek) Edwards are buried in the Edwards & Maines Cemetery, located off Road 1405 in Alleghany County, very close to the Virginia line.
Isaac Edwards died Feb. 12, 1890, in Alleghany Co., NC. He apparently died intestate. His heirs can be identified from a deed dated Mar. 5, 1890. (Alleghany DB 8:371.) Two of Isaac's children, Richard EDWARDS and Martha MAINES, purchased 140 acres of land on the New River from Gillie EDWARDS, Richard EDWARDS, David EDWARDS, John EDWARDS, Haston EDWARDS, and Edy WILLEY.
- 1850 Census, Ashe Co., NC, p.251:
ISAAC EDWARDS, 31, farmer, 250, b. in NC
- -- Gillie, 33, NC
-- David, 7, NC
-- Richd, 5, NC
-- Eady, 3, NC
-- Wm, 1, NC
- 1860 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Glade Creek Twp.,
ISAAC EDWARDS, 39, farmer, $1000, $400, NC
- -- Gilley, 40, NC
-- David, 18, NC
-- Richd, 16, NC
-- Pheby, 14, NC
-- Martha, 12, NC
-- John, 10, NC
-- Chesley, 8, NC
-- Hasten, 6, NC
1860 Census, Agricultural Schedule, Alleghany Co., NC: ISAAC EDWARDS, 20 acres improved land, 80 acres unimproved land, value of farm $100, value of farm implements $20, 3 horses, no asses or mules, 4 milch cows, no working oxen, 5 other cattle, 25 sheep, 20 swine, value of livestock $302. (Source: New River Notes)
CIVIL WAR: Isaac EDWARDS served in Co. F, 5th NC Senior Reserves. Enlisted July 22, 1864 at Statesville, NC. Age at enlistment was 46 years, 4 months, 17 days. Description: 5'6", dark comp. and hair, blue eyes, farmer, native of Alleghany Co. NC. (Source: "Ashe and Alleghany County in the Civil War" by Jeff Weaver.)
Dec. 27, 1864. Gilly EDWARDS is named in her father Richard Cheek's will (Alleghany WB 1, p.19).
- 1870 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp
ISAAC EDWARDS, age 50, farmer, NC
- -- Gilley, 52, NC
-- Martha, 17, NC
-- John, 16, NC
-- Chisley, 13, NC
-- Hasting, 10, NC
-- Richard, 22, at home, NC
- 1880 Census, Alleghany Co., NC, Gap Civil Twp.
ISAAC EDWARDS, 60, farmer, NC NC NC
- -- Gillie, 62, wife, NC NC NC
-- Chesley, 22, son, " " "
-- Hastin, 20, son, " " "
-- Martha, 24, dau, " " "
COX, Nathaniel, 38, boarder, laborer, NC NC NC
Nov. 15, 1842. State of NC to Isaac EDWARDS, 100 acres in Ashe County on Laurel Creek of Brush Creek. Entered June 9, 1838. (Ashe Land Grant No. 2926; Alleghany DB 7:94.)
Sept. 10, 1859. Isaac EDWARDS to Shadrach F. BRYAN, 4 tracts of land, for $800. 1st tract: 100 acres on Glade Creek adj. his old line. 2nd tract: 20 acres on Glade Creek adj. top of a ridge. 3rd tract: 100 acres east side Pine Branch adj. the old rye field. 4th tract: 125 acres beg. near a branch in Sturlin TOLIVER's line ("the branch runs out of Thornton JENNINGS' mountain field"), adj. Shadrach F. BRYAN, Thornton JENNINGS. Signed: Isaac EDWARDS (ack'd). Wits: G.H. BRYAN, J.S. CHOAT. (Alleghany DB 1:146, DB 28:50.)
Sept. 10, 1859. Ezekiel JOINS to Isaac EDWARDS, 97 acres adj. Wiley HALE's old line, for $750. Signed: Ezekiel (X) JOINES. Wits: Wm. H. JOINES, J.S. CHOAT. Proved Dec. 30, 1885, by J.S. CHOAT. (Alleghany DB 7:97.)
Apr. 20, 1869. Caleb OSBORN, legal agent under power of atty of A.C. OSBORN of Jackson Co., Missouri, to Isaac EDWARDS, 16 acres on the side of Peach Bottom Mountain adj. said EDWARDS, a branch, PUW [PUGH], & a cond'l line between said EDWARDS & Hesekiah WILLEY, for $10. Signed: Caleb OSBORN, Atty. Wits: T.S. HIGGINS, Jno. GAMBILL. Proved Mar. 15, 1886, by T.S. HIGGINS. Filed Mar. 15, 1886. (Alleghany DB 6:480.)
Apr. 7, 1873. Gilbert EDWARDS & wife Cena to Isaac EDWARDS, 20 acres adj. Isaac EDWARDS, William WOLFE, a branch, top of the ridge, David EDWARDS, the big branch, & Isaac EDWARDS' spring branch, for $100. Signed: Gilbert EDWARDS, Cenia EDWARDS. Wits: Thos. EDWARDS, David (X) EDWARDS. Proved Dec. 28, 1885 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 7:96.)
Apr. 28, 1873. Isaac EDWARDS & wife Gilly to Abraham EVANS, 100 acres on Big & Little Pine Creek, for $90. Signed: Isaac EDWARDS, Gilly (X) EDWARDS. Proved Oct. 7, 1873 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 2:269.)
May 5, 1873. Silas WARD & wife Phebe J. of Grayson Co., VA, to Isaac EDWARDS & wife Gilly of Alleghany Co., NC, 20 acres on the New River beg. at the mouth of a branch, adj. the bank of New River, ROBINSON, & COX, for $90. Signed: Silas WARD, P.J. (X) WARD. [No wits.] Proved June 1, 1873 (ack'd). (Alleghany DB 7:95.)
June 10, 1887. Isaac EDWARDS & wife Gilley to Edy WILLEY, 100 acres on Long? Creek & Brush Creek. Signed: Isaac EDWARDS, Gilley (X) EDWARDS. Wit: T.C. DOUGLAS. Proved Nov. 4, 1887. Reg. Apr. 14, 1919. (Alleghany DB 30:347.)
The following deed involves Isaac Edwards' heirs:
Mar. 5, 1890. Richard EDWARDS & wife Rosabell, David EDWARDS & wife Caroline, John EDWARDS & wife Millie, Haston EDWARDS & wife Nancy, Solomon WILLEY & wife Edy, & Gillie EDWARDS, to Chesley EDWARDS & Martha MAINES, 140 acres on New River adj. J.J. GAMBILL, WOLF, TRUITT, & RECTOR, for $1,000. Signed by the grantors. Wits: M.F. JOINES, J.J. GAMBILL. Proved Mar. 5, 1890. Reg. Jan. 7, 1891. (Alleghany DB 8:371.)